Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Hi - My job may very well depend on this.

I'm new to database designing, and my first project is to build a website and database for the proposal development department at my job.

After reading up, this is the design I've gone with:

Proposal Database

I know this is really complicated for my first project. There is a lot of many to many relationships that I'm not sure that I need. I've tried to normalize it as much as I could, but thought I would post it here to get professional opinions.

Also, is it possible to create a form that would update the junction tables between the make to make relationships? For example, if I wanted to add Criteria from the EvaluationCriteria table to the first Proposal in the Proposal table, would I have to go in and manually update the Proposal_Evaluation table each time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img1.JPG  

It seems you don't need most of your intermediate tables. For example.

Proposal -> Proposal Schedule <- Schedule

One to Many to One

You surely could just have Proposal_ID in your Schedule table and do away with the Proposal Schedule table?

This seems to apply to a lot of your relationships.

My thinking on this was that there are many proposals, and and many schedule items. Each proposal can have many schedule items, and each schedule item could go into many proposals.

That's why I went with a many to many relationship, and used the junction tables. Is there a different way to approach this?

Well if that's the case, the way you're doing is the way I'd do it.

And if that's the case with all the other relationships that are the same as this, I think I would develop a headache after 5 minutes of trying to develop this database!

I guess it's a good way to learn anyways.

Do you have any idea how to make a form that would update the junction tables automatically, so I don't have to go in each junction and assocate each proposal with the schedules, criterias, etc that it uses?

Something still doesn't sit right, still, about your relationships with me.

So what you're saying is that you want to create many schedules and be able to link this schedule to many proposals but also have many schedules for each proposal?

Quote Originally Posted by VampHeartless
    Do you have any idea how to make a form that would update the junction tables automatically, so I don't have to go in each junction and assocate each proposal with the schedules, criterias, etc that it uses?
    How are you associating them now?

Yes. Each Proposal can have many schedules (each schedule item contains a date, and a description of that date) and each schedule (date and description) could end up in multiple proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy
    How are you associating them now?
    I'm not sure I understand the question correctly? Right now I have the PROPOSAL_ID to the junction table, then from the junction table to the SCHEDULE_ID table.

You said you want a form that updates the junction tables automatically?

What do you mean by automatically?

What forms do you have now?

How presently are you going about populating the junction tables?

I presently populating them by

a) Adding dates/descriptions to the Schedule table.
    b) Adding a proposal to the proposal table.
    c) Going into the Poposal_Schedule table and making sure that each Proposal_Id matches the correct Schedule_ID

So for data entry at the moment, you're not not using forms at all?

This means you are going into the Poposal_Schedule table and manually entering Proposal_IDs and Schedule_IDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy
    So for data entry at the moment, you're not not using forms at all?

This means you are going into the Poposal_Schedule table and manually entering Proposal_IDs and Schedule_IDs?
    Correct. I couldn't figure out how to set a form up that would populat the proposal table, the schedule table, AND the junction table in between.

Have a look here at the top download here:

http://www.databasedev.co.uk/downloads.html

Or my attached example that relates to your database.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Opps..noticed an error in my above attached example so ignore it and use the one below.
    Attached Files Attached Files