Unanswered: Asking fo help to choose

I am new to this programming thing. I am lil lost.. on choosing SQL or Oracle..
    which one performs better..
    Our office have 20 computers in network. We have to entry database daily both offline and online....
    please help which one should be better?

i think your question is confusing.
    sql is a programming language. oracle is database software
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Provided Answers: 4
    Perhaps he meant to say "Microsoft SQL Server" vs. "Oracle"? If so, check this Blindman's answer. Also, it is always good to have Google as your friend.

Do you agree with Blindman's answer though, Littlefoot ?

Provided Answers: 4
    For me, MS SQL Server is everything (and even more) that Blindman says for Oracle; I believe this is because I only scratched Oracle's surface, forgot all I once knew about Informix, but know absolutely nothing about MS SQL Server so I'm not the right person to judge about such things.

Blindman, on the other hand, is an experienced user who worked on both databases so I guess he can give better opinion than me. Therefore, I can't "agree" or "disagree", but simply give a link to his words.

However, I've had an opportunity to attend this year's HrOUG (annual Croatian Oracle User Group conference). There was a presentation which compared (free) Oracle, MS SQL Server and DB2 databases (Express Editions). Who won? DB2! It supports 4 GB RAM, 2 CPUs and unlimited user data (while both competitors offer 1 GB RAM, 1 CPU and 4 GB of user's data).

Now, I believe Ultranet isn't interested in any free version to be their production database; also, it is questionable whether he (or anyone else) has enough time to test all of them (don't forget about MySQL, PostgreSQL and other free databases) and choose ONE. That's why is good to hear another opinion. We don't have to agree with it, but can consider it.

I have used both databases and for small applications, they both work fine. However, as the database scales up, Oracle is a much more robust and flexable database. While oracle may be harder to administrator, it is because it has the capacity to do much more configuration then sql-server can do. If you want a quick to install and easy to use database for a small application, then use sql-server. Otherwise, use Oracle. It has a higher learning curve, but is a much better database engine.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 11-02-06 at 16:14.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Part of the answer should always include the business - which one is best suited to solving the current and future business requirements... license costs, maint. etc have to be considered.

for programmer,the ms sql or sql plus have some common,
    for administrator , i think the ms sql is easier than oracle.
    you can use either database with you real needs.

for programmer,the ms sql or sql plus have some common,
    for administrator , i think the ms sql is easier than oracle.
    you can use either database with your real needs.