Unanswered: How can I publish a database on my web site?

Hi!

I need help!!!

I have made a books-database in MS access. I want to publish it on my web site. It should be possible for the visitor that search different books on my database.
    I am able to write HTML code (using MS FrontPage) but how make a search form and how would the HTML contact my database (book.mdb) on my web-server?
    I have find some HTML code.. for search-form but here it is used kbook.asp what I don’t understand it . I have tried to replace kbook.asp with book.mdb, but it does not working.
    I have heard that there are some software that you can easily publish your database on your homesite but which software???

Kind regards, sofi

Code:
    <HTML dir=rtl>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>K</TITLE>
    <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1256" http-equiv=Content-Type>
    <LINK href="kformat.css" rel=STYLESHEET type=text/css>
    <META content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0" name=GENERATOR>
    </HEAD>
    <base target=kDown >
    <BODY bgColor=#EDF2EC text=#000000>
    <FORM action=kbook.asp method=post name=SEARCH>
    <TABLE align=center bgColor=BDCEB9 width=420>
    <TBODY>
    <TR>
    <TD width=120>Choose</TD>
    <TD width=220><SELECT name=Kids>
    <OPTION selected value=DIV>Kids
    <OPTION value=CHD>History</OPTION>
    <OPTION value=CIN>Animales</OPTION>
    </SELECT> </TD>
    <TD align=right width=80><INPUT type=submit value=Show></TD>
    </TR>
    </TBODY></TABLE>
    </FORM>
    </BODY></HTML>

Provided Answers: 6
    I'm no expert, but I would use asp within the html to communicate with the Access database. I think someone told me that Frontpage had a wizard that would set that up, but I think it may be an add-in. I can find out if you don't see it. I've found some decent sample code here:

http://www.asp101.com/samples/
    Paul

You need to host your database on a site that supports .asp and database Access, Binkster does this, and there are a lot of other providers that do the same. PHP and .net are two other alternatives.

I used to have a Brinkster site that does exactly what you want. I'll try to find it tonight, but Brinkster may have deleted it as I haven't used it in a couple of years.

The trrisky bit is getting the connection string right. Once you're done that the rest is easy.

Cool Can someone make a php page that can contact my database?

Hi again!
    I have checked my web-server, it is working only with php NOT asp.
    Can someone make a php page that can contact my database?
    Is there any free php editor software?

Best regards
    Sofi

Talking How can I publish a database on my web site

I need help!!!

I have made a books-database in MS access. I want to publish it on my web site. It should be possible for the visitor that search different books on my database.
    I am able to write HTML code (using MS FrontPage) but how make a search form and how would the HTML contact my database (book.mdb) on my web-server? My web-server works only with php.
    Can someone make a php page that have search form and can contact my database?
    I have heard that there are some software that you can easily publish your database on your homesite but which software???

Kind regards, sofi

Provided Answers: 59
    does you ISP allow you to use MDB/Access as a datastore on its server and connect to PHP
    if not what do they offer... of they are offering PHP then probably they also offer MySQL

there are other alterantives, depending on waht version of PHP they are suign you may already have SQLi available (i think it is normally included in PHPv5, although many ISP's turn this feature off)

depending on how much information you have, ie data, and how flexible you want the retrieval to be you could store the information in flat files and get PHP to read the data for each visitor... not a nice solution but it may well work and it doesn't involved any additional expense

Check on Google for the PHP/ODBC support for Access and see if you ISP is prepared to let you use the required modules in their builds of PHP

Of course you could dedcide to ditch your ISP and move to an ISP that offers MDB/Access support (and the decide if you want to use ASP or stick with PHP or some other scripting language

failing that you are going to have to use a rdbms, if you are usign MySQL then getting the data to and from Access to MySQL is fairly easy (have a look at dbtools.com.br)

after that you are going to have to learn PHP and start writing your own pages. Have a look at the FAQ on the PHP website, and do a google on learning the basics of PHP. From what I remember, ie the last time someone wanted to start writing their own PHP pages the W3schools & Rutgers pages were pretty helpfull.

Id suggest to try to kick start the project and come back if you have some specific problem or issue that you cannot resolve. I doubt you will get an out of the box solution, unless there is a PHP template out there which does precisley what you want.

As regards a suitable PHP editor, then the worlds your oyster, PHP uses standard flat files, so anyt text editor rangin from WordPad/NotePad, through to Word would work. Personally if you are on a budget the Chamisofts HTML-KIT with the appropriate PHP extensions takes a lot of beating. Howver unless you have an understanding of the language and what you want to do no editor is going to magically help. Its a bit like having a dictionary, but not understandin the basic grammer and sentancde construction.

HTH
    Last edited by healdem; 11-02-06 at 18:41.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Okay, where to start?

First off I do not suggest using an access database for internet websites. Access is a great desktop database, which can be used for small businesses who run all their own reports and queries in house (aka. intranet, desktop).

Second, someone can't just write you a PHP page with the info you provided. I don't even know if you can get a driver which would allow PHP to talk to an Access db. Usually you do a mySQL db with a PHP page.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Reghardt; 11-02-06 at 17:57.

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Reghardt
    ...I don't even know if you can get a driver which would allow PHP to talk to an Access db. Usually you do a mySQL db with a PHP page....
    PHP has developed outside the propriatory box, as far as I can see the "answer is yes, what's the question" when it comes to using PHP in a Web, or even standard application. PHP's connectivity to db's is pretty impressive, either in native format or through ODBC. granted its better using MySQL, but that doesn't stop it being capable of being used with other backends

...as regards to using MDB's in a web application I dont see the problem, if the only entity opening the MDB is the webserver, and its using the PConnect option within PHP it really shouldnt be an issue, unless you are gettign heavy traffic hitting the MDB (say 30+ concurrently). after all the main limits on Access are the number of concurrent users, and the volatility of the information. Most web applciations are read intensive, rahter than signioficant changes to data. its the read/write contentions that knacker access.

The reality is that this user requirement is almost certainly going to be low volume, so thre MDb constraints are not neccessesarily going to be an issue. There are some very good reasons not to use MDB's in a web environemtn, one of them being to get away from non standard SQL, but outside of that its not really an issue.

I certainly wouldnt use MDB's in a heavy usage site, but I dont think thats what this site is going to be
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton