Unanswered: migrating Oracle 9i RAC from raw devices to cluster file system

Oracle 9i RAC is currently sitting on HP-UX 11.23 OS. Just wondering now how to migrate the SRVM (Oracle 9i RAC configuration info) which is on a raw device to cluster filesystem. Is by dropping and recreating it ?

I believe that for the database files online RMAN backup from raw devices needs to be taken and then restore them to the cluster filesystems.

I haven't tried it, but I dont think you can take raw devices backup with RMAN and restore it on (cooked) cluster filesystems, since raw devices are not datafiles (they are block/char especial devices files). You will need to use OS utilities (like dd), to copy your raw devices to a file and then use that in your cluster filesystem. Optionally, there's export/import.

hi, tks for responding. if export/import or dd is used to migrate database files, how can the 9iRAC config which is on raw disk (raw disk location is specified in the srvconfig_loc file) be moved to Cluster file system. If it's by way of recreating, how can srvconfig be recreated on 9iRAC ?

No, you will not use raw devices configuration if you decide to store your files in a CFS. Suppose you use export/import, you just recreate your database and put your datafiles in whatever your CFS is. Then after that, you just import your data back. Use DBCA to make this process easier (it will walk you through).

Also, are you going no-RAC or something ? There could be consecuent implications (especially in performance) when changing from raw devices to cooked filesystems.

Additionally, try reading through the guide.

Migration from RAW to CFS

This can be very simple. You can use dd(1) to copy each file contents into a file in the CFS and either rename the datafile or replace the old raw partition reference with a symlink to the CFS file. This has been done many, many times before.

As for the query about why, CFS, I think it should be the other way around personally. I blog accordingly at:

http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/

I forgot to mention that the dd(1) approach works fine for the srver config file as well.