Thread: Multi-user help

Question Unanswered: Multi-user help

Hey ppls...

ok.. i have a database up and running on a server, where more than one user can access at one time. It works fine and sweet.

The problem however is that when a user (who has rights) decides to redesign a form, query, table... other users are locked out. This is rare, but when it does occur, users would like to know who has blocked the database. Is there anyway to tell who has blocked the database? Something like a message "User: BOB, has locked the database", would be nice.

Thanks in advance...
    Kal..

Provided Answers: 59
    not neccesarily

....however,depending on the version of acces you use there is a way of seeing who is using the db (by examining the locking (LDB) file). The technique I saw used some undoceumnted GUID's and was published in Getwin, Letz & Gunderloys Access Developer Handbook. Not sure if its copyrighted.

however it begs the question why do you let people make changes to t reports or forms if they are on a central server. consider either removing the design rights to the central db, or better yet give each user their own copy of the access front end to do what ever they wish.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    I agree with Healdem, you're courting diaster allowing other people to modify queries, forms and especially tables on your app! Give them their own frontend and let them go to town, except with the tables, of course!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thumbs up thanks

hmm.... i may not have explained my senario cleary..

... but you DID give me some good help. I already have a front end and back end set up, so I may have to give each user their own front end. That would infact get rid of the locks and stuff. Also, the ldb file thingy, just gave me an interesting idea.

Thanks ppls.
    kal

Provided Answers: 59
    ...no I think you explained your problem / desired solution very clearly. Its just I dont think Access neccesarily can provide you with that information.

Candace Tripp site has (I think something sort of similiar to what I was alluding to [I havent looked into it in any detail], ie you can see who is using Access, however to get Access to actively inform people who is actively changing the report/form... thats a different issue.

the guid is 947bb102-5d43-11d1-bdbf-00c04fb92675... try searching on google for that
    alternatively have a look at the posting on this forum
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton