Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: An interesting issue with adding columns.

I've written this procedure that is a meta data manager if you will. It looks at a vocabulary table and will create or alter tables to be in line with the meta data. It works great and has for a couple of years now. However, I just rewrote it in an effort to make it more compact, efficient, etc. Now, our system uses at least three databases. One contains shared data, the next holds only system data for the app like individual user settings, etc (atslogin is the name) then would be an actual database for client data or accounts as we call them. Clients could have one or 100 of those. Please, no comments about moving everything in to one DB as that is not always possible to to hierarchy of multiple business models.

Now, on to the issue. This procedure used to exists in the local database (one or many) now I keep it in atslogin so in effect, it looks "down" on all other databases and does it's thing. It adds columns, expands them, creates tables, views, keys blah blah blah.

Here is the issue. When it creates a new column the ordinal position is out of whack. I've got a table where I keep dropping the last column, run my procedure to add it and find that the ordinal position has increased by one each time. Add it and the value is 48 for example. Drop it and add it again and it is now 49 and all the while there is a gap between say 47 and 49. This is being written to syscolumns and the view INFORMATION_SCHEMA.[columns].

This is a big deal because if I find columns are out of order I wont attempt to alter the table. Trouble is the columns are in the proper order, I just can buy what the system is saying. Anyone ever seen this? Even if I add a column as the db owner I'm seeing this. This is SQL 2k. Below is the exact version

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86)
    Dec 17 2002 14:22:05
    Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
    Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)

Provided Answers: 6
    ooohhh dba-one, a padwon problem this is. meaningless the order of the data in the database is as Jedi Kaiser will readily remind you he will.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Personally, some things are just not meant to be automated in my opinion

You'd have to post some code snipets though on what you are doing.

I use ERWin to do what you are doing, but I usually unload, drop and create the objects, then load
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Yoda say this ordinal problem not be a 0 to 1 issues. The voc file reads 0 for the first position while the system stuffs begins at 1. You didn't really think a Jedi master like me would be so stupid as to over look that did you?

exec usp_madeof 'wcsub'

select colid,* from syscolumns where object_name(id)='wcsub' order by colid

Both will return the following in the results:

DOHFILING varchar 1 48
    FORMTYPE varchar 2 53

(from sysobjects)
    48 DOHFILING
    53 FORMTYPE

Now, usp_made of is a procedure I wrote. It returns results in a fashion like Oracle's "desc" function. All that procedure does is read the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.[columns] view and order by ordinal position. Now, everytime I drop formtype and re add the column 53 will become 54 and so on. dohfiling will remain 48. This is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    I very much agree. When I find columns out of order I refuse to automate the process. However, the columns are not out of order technically. I just can believe what syscolumns or other entries read. Even running alter table .. add column .... in the local DB as the owner is causing this so I can even remove my procedure from the matter.

Provided Answers: 11
    I tore out a couple hairs this week trying to get a Data Dictionary Collection script to work. Eventually, I just dumped the idea of checking columns by column ID and resorted to sorting the lower cased names of the columns and going by that. I figured if the column name exists, then I am OK. If it is not there at all, then I have to delete the column from the data dictionary. Or, if I find a column that is out of order, it must have been added, so in the data dictionary it goes. If I went by columnID I could be dropping good columns and re-adding them later on, when I find them again at the "end" of the table. Would that work for you?

EDIT: Bottom line is you have to work around the quirks in your RDBMS. And a non-contiguous set of column IDs counts as a quirk to me.

Here read this.

http://www.mindsdoor.net/SQLAdmin/Al...eProblems.html

Once I read that, it only re-enforced dropping and re-creating the tables
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

This has never happened and it is not an acceptable flaw of any RDBMS. Besides, my application expects things to be in a certain order and if it isn't, it will puke. I didn't design it that way but it is the way of things. If the table is created wrong then fine, manual intervention. If the system tables are wrong then how can I buy anything else they may tell me?

This application is run all over the place at my clients sites. If it were an in house app I wouldn't mind dropping and recreating tables but that is horribly impractical in this case. Plus, I've had a few programmers here attempt to be clever and do things like that only to see it result in data loss. I can't attempt to automate the recreation of tables and moving data around. Too much risk for my taste.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    So true. Experience is the difference between knowing what CAN be done, and what SHOULD be done. "Fail-safe systems fail by failing to fail safely."
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DBA-ONE
    This application is run all over the place at my clients sites.

I don't understand, I would have a script that would run all the sql and apply the changes.

What kind of development lifecycle do you use?

And what's the frontt end written and how do you deploy that?
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

The app is a VB/.Net app for insurance claims. It is a very complicated application as well. Scripts are fine in many cases but calls to my procedure are built in to it. When we make changes to table structures we simply send the meta data table. The app will then call my procedure to inspect and alter if needed, any involved tables. No single client has a standard version of our app because we will customize anything they want but the databases are largely the same with the exception of "user tables"

If we send an update that would say depend on a new table or two or many, we send the meta data file. The app will then test for existence and if they are not there my procedure creates the tables, index, keys, so on. Why send a meta data file and then have to manually do everything?

It seems everyone thinks I'm some kind of dummy for doing this! Our app has been doing things like this for nearly 20 years and the last 10 has been with Oracle or SQL Server depending on which DB the client wants to run it against. I just don't understand how this issue has only appeared now and not before.

I can't be the only one who has run in to this can I?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DBA-ONE
    No single client has a standard version of our app because we will customize anything they want
    ...and that is the root of the problem. Trying to be all things to all customers. I saw this as a problem back when I was a consumer of software, and I see it as a problem now that I am a producer of software. Client database get customized out the wazoo until they become administrative nightmares requiring the type of code you have had to implement (albeit for 20 years).
    Software vendors should be experts in their industry and code their products according to best practices. Client modification of the database schema should not be allowed.
    "You can customize it any way you want" is ultimately a flawed philosophy, and its reductio-ad-absurdum conclusion is an empty box with instructions to install the database server of the client's choice.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com