Unanswered: MS Access Merge Tool

Can anybody advise of a tool which can compare two versions of an MS Access database, highlight and merge changes between them (e.g. in table structure, forms, VBA code, etc)?

We have one master “live” db and work on multiple independent projects concurrently (using local copies of the db). When each project “goes live” we integrate the changes from the local project db into our live db. There’s significant risk associated with this as its dependant on the developer keeping a comprehensive list of every change and addition they’ve made.

What I’m looking for is a tool that can automate or assist with the above process. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

It's unlikely mel! There are hundreds if not thousands of possible changes that could be made, each having its own level of significance to your Live database. Any such application would have to be able to handle an error for any one of these changes and be able to deal with it.

If I make any huge changes to my databases then they are made in a copy of the front end database which I then make the master front end once tested. I've always had to add new tables into the back end manually to set up the relationships. Working front end/back end is less dangerous as you are leaving the data intact in the event of the worst but could still cause problems where you have many people making changes and still needs to be controlled. How do you know that two people haven't made a change to the same object, thus undoing someone elses work?

P.S. If you are adding tables and potentially changing data during your test period then you probably want a test back end too and be sure that your test front end point does not point to the live back end until you are happy with it!

Another option is to read up on setting up a design master but I've never tested out the pros & cons so couldn't advise there.
    Last edited by jonesyfella; 11-08-06 at 09:33.

Provided Answers: 19
    I suspect jonesyfella is correct; the job of designing such a utility would be would simply be overwelming, especially without the source code, and the demand for this kind of thing too small. I could be wrong, of course! There are, however, a number of programs for simply comparing two DBs. I've never used these, but here's a couple of links:

Free
    http://home.gci.net/~mike-noel/CompareEM.htm

Single license $29/USD
    http://dbweigher.com/

Single license $199/USD
    http://www.fmsinc.com/products/detective/index.html
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for those responses guys. Missinglinq those links. Db weigher and Total Access Detective seem like what I'm looking for. They won't do the merging but I could use them to check that all changes have been implemented.

Our db does actually have seperate front and back ends. One of our problems is that with two or more projects happening concurrently there is the risk that a change in one project may get overwritten by the other when they go live. But as I say, I think one of the above tools may help. Thanks again.

Provided Answers: 59
    wonder if source safe, using the office dveloper kit would help?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton