Question Unanswered: How to use query analyzer to find the most efficient one in many select statements?

Hi, everyone.

I have read a lot of topics about execution plan for query, but I got little.
    Please give me some help with examples for comparing different select statements to find the best efficient select statement.

Thank you very much.

Provided Answers: 1
    Avoid table scans like the plague. Use "where" clauses whenever possible to reduce the amount of raw data you're working with. Make sure you have proper indexing. Also, read this:

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/1437391
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

hi,
    you can check this web site : http://www.sqlservercentral.com/colu...intversion.asp
    it's under (Using The Index Hint) section
    good luck
    Peace out
    Mr joka

A simple "first pass" that can sometimes make it clear which statement is a dog and which is good is to:

Pop all your select statements in a single window in QA. Hit Ctrl + K. Hit F5. Look at the query plan window.

You will see a plan for each statement including an "overall cost" for each statement. Sometimes this shows you clearly which is better\ worse without a need to look much further.

For more detailed optimisation you need to look at the individual components of the plans, run things like SET STATISTICS IO ON, SET STATISTICS TIME ON, look at Profiler and so on.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

IMHO you should avoid index hints until you are much more comfortable with optimisation and query tuning.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.