Thread: log held

Unanswered: log held

DB2 8.2
    AIX 5.3

I have received the following twice within the last two months in the DB2 .nfy file. Left alone, the logs reach saturation and brings DB2 down. My question is: How can I receive this notice via email?

ADM1823E The active log is full and is held by application handle "22".
    Terminate this application by COMMIT, ROLLBACK or FORCE APPLICATION.

Thanks.

Increase the size and/or number of primary and secondary log files. This is specified in the database configuration (db2 get db cfg).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

As of now for getting the email notification, you have to write a script to send a mail by capturing get snapshot for database. In the snapshot of database you will have information about amount of log space used.

Thanks
    Nagesh

Increasing the size or number of log files would be postponing the inevitable, assuming no one notices the error. The issue is that something has gone awry for a user and that the transaction log is being held by his agent process which is stopping the transaction log from being archived. Eventually, all the logs, no matter their size or number would be consumed. I wanted to pursue email notification of the error so to take action, presumably, as soon as posssible.

Is it not possible for the health monitor to be used somehow to send the notice via email?

If I must write a script to accomplish this, I am thinking it would make more sense to grep for the error in the notification file (.nfy) and send the email.

Thanks.

You can grep the .nfy file, but you will get to know after the log has become full. But if you can use the get snapshot for command then you can try to avoid, situation.

Thanks
    Nagesh

So, the health monitor would be of no use here? (I realize though the health monitor would likely be a performance hit if it could be used here.)

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by wehrle
    So, the health monitor would be of no use here? (I realize though the health monitor would likely be a performance hit if it could be used here.)

Thanks again.
    Logs can fill up in a matter of seconds, and implementing preventive measures (increasing the log file size and number of files) is the only reasonable approach.

Obviously, more frequent commits by applications and utilities is also important.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390