Provided Answers: 1

Red face Unanswered: electronic weigh machine

help please,
    how can i capture the output from an electronic weighing machine connected on the rs-232 port and get it to display on my form....?

this is a real tough one for me....all help is welcome
    thanks in advance.
    abhi
    Abhi
    A2K3 WinXP Prof SelfLearner

Provided Answers: 59
    see if you have access to the MSCOMM, or other device control, failing that you may have to MSCommdownload[/URL] it, or an equivalent

failing that you may have to write your own interface DLL or control

Id have a look on google first

Normally I wouldnt attempt to use 232 within an Access application as it can be difficult to ensure the correct interfacing of the 232 subsystem. IE the Access app doesnt reliably service all comntrols, however its doubtfull that you will have that problem on a weigh balance

If you need to control the device (IE send command & control signals) then you may have to write your own 232 control. If you are in the .NET environment then you may have even worse problems.
    Last edited by healdem; 11-09-06 at 07:27.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Lost the instruction manual, have we? Might try contacting the manfacturer.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

come on guys i need more than this , gimme the code pl?
    the mscomm reads the modem sigs only or what?....( thats what all the articles seem to suggest....)
    has no one made an invoicing app with an electronic/digital machine?

Abhi

Provided Answers: 19
    You really need to contact the scale's vendor/manufacturer. These types of devices almost always come with interface software and/or documentation on the needed code. Unless someone on this forum has actually worked for one of these manufacturers, it's doubtful they'd be able to help you. And even if someone has had a job doing this, I believe the exact code would be dependant on the specific set of scales i.e. what would work for Scales A wouldn't work for Scales B.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by abhichoudhary
    come on guys i need more than this , gimme the code pl?
    the mscomm reads the modem sigs only or what?....( thats what all the articles seem to suggest....)
    has no one made an invoicing app with an electronic/digital machine?

the MSComm control gives you the capability to access the RS232 port IE anything direct control & use of the 232 port to send and / or receive)... precisely what you requested. Its prime use on PC's was external modems, but any 232 device can be connected. Investigate the control see what it does, and how to use it. I dont think you are being reasonable to expect people to provide the code... you need to do some (read MOST) of the work yourself. If you are struggling with the details then by all means come back... but make an effort first. If you view the output on the 232 port then you will see what the scale is outputting. If you are testing the control then Id suggest you try talkiign to an external modem sending the modem diagnostic test

the chances that anyone 'just' happens to have what you want is slim.

However as Missingling correcly points out you probably need to contact the scale manufacturer to find what control commands and responses can be expected on the 232 interface. Many 232 devices require 2 way communication eg the computer sends a control signal to the scales, the scales sends back the requested info. Its possible that the control codes may be available on the net.

I think a potential porblem you are going to have is working out the 232 protocols (eg baud rate, data / stop / parity). id try 9600 8/n/1
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks you all,
    i will do this research, and will report back later on the progress.
    take care n keeep smiling ill be back soon , i'm a self learner from help files and any real help will be wellcome, i will in the mean time (first priority ) get all possible info from the HW vendor...and let see what happens....
    yes we have a machine a supplier gave us 14 months back with an exe and an access db with crystal reports - which i have no idea how it works...and we are on a tight budget read very small and hope to make an invoicing software if i can that is....in access as i know some basics...without going to any software ppl commercially.

guess i was over ambitious or purely naive to think a ready standardised solution or code would be available......long back i felt the same about the mouse hook and i was pleasantly surprised! that peice of app i made was very nice and is still working flawlessly...thanks to you all really...cheers....see you all soon dbForums really rocks
    Abhi