Smile Hello to everyone

Hi! My name is Alida, and I work in the International Space Station Payloads Office at the Johnson Space Center. My main task is ISS utilization strategic planning (i.e., what payloads do we want to bring to the Station & how do we want to operate them?), but I am also responsible for the development of most of the database tools used within the Payloads Office. Because MS Access is the tool provided by NASA, that's the tool I use. I generally end up working alone on most projects - it's nice to have others to help me this way!

welcome!!

i must say, it sounds like you have a fabulous job

just a small word of caution, you may occasionally run into some self-obsessed people on this site who feel that Access isn't a "real" database

just ignore them

if Access is good enough for NASA, it's more than real, it's transcendental!!
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

thanks for the welcome. believe, me, I understand the "access is not a real database" crowd; on occasion, I'm a part of it! We use Access within NASA as the tool for small projects; I have developed other tools that require a lot more "power" using mysql, SQL Server, and Oracle. However, for most of what I do with the Payloads Office, Access is more than adequate.

cm'on Rudy

Most of us will say that for the desktop, Access is fine.

The only time I have issues with it is when I've had to use it in a multi-user environment.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

here in ontario, the bicycle is defined as a vehicle under the Highway Traffic Act

despite the name of the legislation (in law, a highway is actually any road which is available to the public), the bicycle is not permitted (for the safety of all concerned) on high-speed expressways

however, it has the same rights -- and responsibilities -- on ordinary streets

for example, the cyclist may ride far enough away from the curb to ride safely (e.g. to avoid curbside detritus and sewer grates), even if this means occupying the entire lane

for all intents and purposes, a bicycle is a vehicle

but hey, the only time i have issues with the bicycle as a vehicle is when i've had to use it in a multi-user environment
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL