Unanswered: MySQL Connectivity

We dont have much know how on MySQL as it came with a Third party software our company brought.
    We want to develop a Excel Macro which will connect to MySQL database and show us dynamic data. CAn anyone lets us know how we can connect to MySQL from Ms Excel.

Provided Answers: 59
    Connecting via MS Excel... then go trhough ODBC. You will probably nee to download the MySQL ODBC driver from the MySQL site. Whilst you are there you might as well down load the mySQL tools, which included administrator & query browser

follow the instrcutions on the MySQL site on how to instal and set up an ODBC service

HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the reply.
    After we fill up the hostname,useris,passowrd, the database list is not getting populated.. when i manually typ the database name its not connecting..

MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user 'root'@'xxx.xx.xxx.xxx' (using password: YES)

did you download the query browser & administrator

if so I'd check that you can connect to MySQL via one of those. if you ave adminsitrator its a littel easier to grant permissions than the command line.

BTW: that MySQL message usually comes about when the user has insufficent or missing privileges on the account

Id check the user is granted privileges on that database + host and check they are allowed from that client. MySQL security (like any server security model) can take a little bit of fiddling to get working

check what passowrd & hostname you are supplying to the ODBC connection. bear in mind MySQL is case sensitive and some of its windows tools dont display that case sensitivity

I am not able to download query browser & administrator from MySQL website.. the download breaks after 1.72 MB. I tried all mirror sites.

And the same credentials are working from my Unix host. I am taking care of the case sensitivity as well.

OK so you have a UNIX host that works.....

check what permissions are granted for that user id, especially the hostname... it could be % or it could be a specified IP address, IP range or hostname.
    you could chjeck the userid on the unix command line, or use the Linux version of Administrator or Query Browser.. if its not installed on the Linux Box, it may well be on the installation CD.

What type of DSN are you defining?
    does the DSN pass the tests

One of the advantages of downloading Administrator onto you box is you cna proove the connection, so there are fewer issues to resolve.