Unanswered: New database open with password box

Usually when I open a new database, you can start creating your database and then the save box comes up and you save to the destination. For some reason, when I open up a new database, the save box comes up automatically and then the password box with Admin in it comes up. Now, any unsecured database I have now open with the Admin box. Obviously, I click something somewhere but I do not know. The only password issue that I have done lately is open one of my databases and joined a workgroup. It worked great on that database but now maybe it is working on everything.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    B&R

Uh yeah ... When you set the workgroup file on a PC it's set for EVERY SINGLE ACCESS DATABASE opened on that PC ... So, if you want to go back to the way it was ... Reset your workgroup to the default System.mdw. As for opening the 1 db with the security, you'll have to setup a shortcut to that file and mod the shortcut to open access with that file and the desired workgroup file.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Thanks, that sounds exactly like what I need to do. However, how do you reset the default system.mdw?

Appreciate your help!
    B&R

Work groups and passwords

if you cannot remember the work group passwords, the easiest way is to reinstall access, this will reset all workgroups.

my prefered way of setting passwords is to use a start up form with a field for user name and password, these can be held on a table.

this method prevents other users from reinstalling access and bypassing your security.

remember that if you use a start-up form you might need to dissable the allowbypasskey function to prevent users from holding down shift to bypass your start-up menu and show the db window.

hope that helps

Provided Answers: 59
    Tools | Security | Workgroup Administrator | Join

specify the path to your preferred mdw file

do a searcxh on your disk for system.mdw
    its probably in your profile...
    documents & settings\<userid>\Application Data\Microsoft\Access
    .....leastaways the original mdw is on my XP machine

alternatively create a program shortcut opening Access setting the /wrkgrp switch
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton