Question Unanswered: DB2 memory-problem and disk hammering??

Hello !!

I'm having a problem that I can't find any solution yet.... hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a DB2 v8 fp11 on a Windows 2000 server. When we start the DB memory looks good and the machine runs well. When we start to load data into the DB the memory goes sky high och it starts to hammering the disk, where the data-files are, and the loading takes a very long time. When loading is finaly done the memory stays very high until we have to restart the machine. Loading data has gone fine for a long while just until a couple of weeks ago when this came up.
    We can't see anything in the logs that says it should be some sort of an error.

Does anyone recognize this and have a great sollution that would really make my day!!!!

Best regards

Yarmikwes

Hi,
    it looks like you get out of real memory and virtual memory is used. Look into the Windows Task Manager Performance tab if Commit Charge Peak is bigger then Physical Memory Total. This means you have virtual memory problem.

Check if some parameter on db was increased for example bufferpools. Check:
    Code:
    select NPAGES * PAGESIZE * 1024 bufferpool_in_bytes from sysibm.sysbufferpools
    If you find bufferpool to big lower it.

Is your computer only DB server or is there any other product installed on it? Are you sure DB is the root of the problem?

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Hi Grofaty!!

Thanks for you answer. I will look this up.
    No DB is not the only app on the server. There is also an application from IBM called OnDemand. But we think that DB2 is causing the problem.
    How would I know if the bufferpool is to big?

Best regards
    Yarmikwes

Hi,
    above select statement I have provided above in bytes must not exceed max physical memory on computer (task manager | physical memory | total).
    Hope this helps,
    Grofaty