Unanswered: Trying to Figure Out Persistent Connections

It is my understanding that when using mysql_pconnect (PHP), the server will attempt to find a connection with the identical hostname, username, and password before creating a new connection.

To test this, I created a simple script that connects to the database, runs a query and the closes the connection (mysql_close()). I then loaded this script and hit the refresh button 5 times in a row (with a slight pause between each).

I then ran "show full processlist;" and found that 5 separate connections had been created:

Code:
    |Id|User|Host|db|Command|Time|Info
    |1098|test|dns1.xxxxxx.com:40219|test|Sleep|7581|NULL
    |1099|test|dns1.xxxxxx.com:40220|test|Sleep|7579|NULL                                                                
    |1100|test|dns1.xxxxxx.com:40221|test|Sleep|7581|NULL
    |1101|test|dns1.xxxxxx.com:40222|test|Sleep|7585|NULL
    |1103|test|dns1.xxxxxx.com:40224|test|Sleep|7586|NULL
    Is this the correct behavior? I thought that because it was the same script, it would reuse a single connection. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any advice!

Aaron

Show us your test script so that someone here can see if there is a problem with it.

If you are using a persistent connection, calling mysql_close() has no effect.

There is a restriction on using pconnect, the web server must be multiprocess (php must be running as an Apache module or an IIS ISAPI module) and not as a single thread under CGI.

There should be no problems with the script... as I mentioned, it is very basic. Only the minimal code to recreate the problem...

PHP Code:
    <?php

$db 
    '';

$db mysql_pconnect('192.168.2.70''test''*****');

mysql_select_db('test'$db);

$query "SELECT * FROM ReplicationTesting";

$result mysql_query($query) or die (mysql_error());

mysql_close();

?>
    Apache is running PHP using mod_php, so there shouldn't be any problems there.