Unanswered: SQL 2005 Express

If we build an application with Enterpise could it run on the client system with Express? The thing is that not all of our clients need a true server, and thus do not need MS SQL. If we build the applicaton in house, and distribute this to our clients can MS SQL Express Edition run the application and the hit the DB locally? I am thinking the answer is yes, but want to ensure this.

You do not need to own a copy of MS SQL to actually run the DB if you use Express Edition?
    Last edited by fieldsg; 11-14-06 at 13:56.

There are certain features that are enabled in Enterprise that are disabled in Express, so if you are using any of those features in your product, it wouldn't work. Also there are size limitations of the db (I think 4gb per db, but don't quote me) in express.

But other than this it should work ok. The relational engine is identical between the two, just certain stuff is diasabled/throttled.

That is what I was thinking. The client will never touch to DB or see the structure, so, there is no need for them to have the full Enterprise. All they need is the engine (Express) to run the application on their desktop and "hit" the DB...

Thanks jezemine for your input....helps out!!