Unanswered: Creating a datasbase

Ive just started creating the table..and Ive put fields like name/address etc as text but there are a few fields that need you to select an option...so i want to use the "lookup wizard" to create a listbox or combo box dont know which is best.. BUT the problem is when I select lookup wizard it says "unable to start lookup wizard. The lookup wizard doesnt apply to fields of this data type".

Why does it say that?
    Last edited by Scotty22; 11-14-06 at 23:12.

Provided Answers: 19
    What data types are we talking about?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

well heres the thing and im sure its really easy for you guys. All I wanna do is have a simple database that allows me to enter this info and save/edit it etc for each patient...

Name
    Address
    TEL
    DOB
    Contact
    GP name
    Working diagnosis (2 options, acute/chronic)
    Care plan (weekly, monthly, 3 monthly, 6 monthly)
    Prognosis (3 options, red, yellow or green)

and maybe some lines for notes...

I dont know how to do it... Is there a good tutorial or something that will tell me how to do this?? i dont really know much about it and Ive only got about 12 hours to do it lol
    Last edited by Scotty22; 11-14-06 at 23:11.

Wink Here you go

Hi,
    i went ahead and put together a simple demo based on the values you specified this outa get you started. take a look at it and go from there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty22
    Ive just started creating the table..and Ive put fields like name/address etc as text but there are a few fields that need you to select an option...so i want to use the "lookup wizard" to create a listbox or combo box dont know which is best.. BUT the problem is when I select lookup wizard it says "unable to start lookup wizard. The lookup wizard doesnt apply to fields of this data type".

Why does it say that?

the best option is not to use the lookup wizard at all.... its the spawn of the devil... they are a pig to maintain, they make writing some queries difficult. They are a short term fix for what becomes a long term problme

Instead create a table and then use the priamry key of that table as a foreign key. Ideally use a system generated number (autonumber) column.

eg
    DTProduct
    ...contains details of products

DTManufactuer
    ...conatins details of manufacturers
    ...contains ManuID which appears in DTProduct and is constrained usign a relationship such that ManuID in DTProduct must exist in DTManu

Tools | realtionships is a good start, or fialing that F1
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton