Thread: Archive Log

Exclamation Unanswered: Archive Log

Hello, I have a doubt... When I put my db on archive log mode, It starts to archive copies of the log files on a separate disk... But I have to give maintenance to the disk, and erase some of those copies, What can I delete and what not ???? How do I know ??? Can I use rm command ????

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    When you back up the archive logs via rman, use the delete input command to clean off the disk. Most backup packages (veritas, omniback, etc.) do this implicitly.

If you haven't backed up the database and archive logs, then you can't remove any of them without blowing away a chance of recovery. If you have backed them up, then no problem.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

If you want to delete them using operating system utilities (like what you said, rm), you will need to make a HOT backup of the datafiles that conform the database, then you can delete ALL the archived logs that were generated BEFORE your BEGIN BACKUP (that is, if your backup was sucessfull). After you submit your END BAKUP command, you will need to make a backup of the logs that were generated between the time you submitted your BEGIN BACKUP and END BACKUP command, that way you will have something consistent that you can restore.

But as suggested, I would let RMAN do this job.

Thank you so much