Thread: Lock timeout

Unanswered: Lock timeout

Hi,
    I am trying to log the transactions ids and the statements that are running at the point of a lock timeout error (both the locking transaction and the locked out transaction) - unfortunately in db2 there are no event monitors for timeouts (unlike deadlocks) - any ideas if this type of error can be captured to diagnose and possible tune the offending sql??

The reason i am doing this is because batch jobs that run at nite fail on a lock timeout and i would like to know whats possibly causing the contention

P.S - am on db2 v8.2 fp 3 - aix 5.3

Tks

Provided Answers: 1
    I think creating an event monitor for statements and/or transactions should help.

Tks N.I
    i am using snapshot monitors currently but there is no way to isolate the sqls that is causing the timeout -plus there is overhead involved- just wondering if anyone is using a different method to capture transactions involved in a lock timeout scenario to troubleshoot.

Provided Answers: 1
    You realize that snapshot monitors and event monitors are different things, right?

Even if using snapshots, you could kick up the lock timeout setting to an interval that is longer than the interval between snapshot, which will show you the applications holding the locks.

I think snapshot monitors for lock waits will work if i also capture the statements executing at the same moment -tks