Thread: Gantt Chart

Unanswered: Gantt Chart

Hey all, we've got a database that (among other things) has a record of all leave requests for our staff, with the following fields:

StaffName
    StartDate
    EndDate
    PublicHolidays
    NumOfDays (calculated)

(When the leave request is entered, Access calculates the number of days of leave and stores this in the NumOfDays field, after subtracting the number of PublicHolidays that fall during the leave)

What we would like to do is create a Gantt chart from this table, where we can specify a date range (or maybe just a particular month) and print a report showing what days each Staff member has leave. I've been looking around Access and there doesn't seem to be a way to do this, at least not as a Gantt chart. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Provided Answers: 59
    I seem to rmember that Access has the charting wizard and that has a Gannt format... perhaps Im mistaken.

failing that there is nothing stopping you from creating your own report in Access....

it would involve a fair bit of programming

one technique could be to create a report with say 5 blocks of 5 controls, one for each week, starting on a Monday. number these according to your selected month. Then in the form detail event decide which controls (days) you want to change colour. That would fake the effect of a Gantt Chart.... it depends on your experience and your willingness to learn. it can be done, you do have the technology... its just depends if you have the $64billion in time to build the report.

HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

There's a Gantt chart add-in here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253338/en-us

Provided Answers: 59
    its been a quiet day today, customer was late on turning over the deliverables so had a play off and on with this... thats my excuse and Im sticking to it.

I dont claim its a neat bit of coding, nor do I claim its a wow arent I clever (far from it). however it does show that what you want can be done in an Access report. It makes some assumptions that would be innappropriate for a production report, but are fine for testing. However I think it could be made into a production report with a small amount of tweaking. Id certainly want ot look at the eficacy of some of the algorhythms, as it seesm a bit to slow for my liking. There is a minor issue that the end date is oncorrectly counted.... however its a Thursday night, and the pub calls..........

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    There's a gazillion add-ins available for $$$. Just Google "MS Access Gantt." They've just taken all the immense grunt work out of the process. The commercial add-ins, just like the example in the MS Knowledge Base, actually use Access to manipulate Excel.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007