Thread: ODBC Error

Unanswered: ODBC Error

Hi All,
    I have a database using Access 2003 as a front end and SQL as a backend. I set up all permissions in SQL and linked all tables to the Access frontend. After putting the front end on the network for other users, they receive the following error: ODBC connection to <name> failed. (Error 3151) What do I need to do please

what type of sql server security are you using?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Just the SQL 2000 server security. I gave the permissions to the users

Provided Answers: 6
    How did you link the tables? If you used a User or System DSN on your PC, you'd have to add that to the user's PC as well.
    Paul

I setup on my PC a ODBC connection to the database on the SQL backend and I linked from the access frontend. Do I need to go to each users PC to add the ODBC connection to the SQL backend?

Provided Answers: 54
    You probably need to either set up a DSN on each PC (which can be done via script), or use a "DSN-less" connection within your MDB file. I'm inclined to recommend the DSN on each PC because it gives you more flexibility, although the DSN-less connection gives your app more control of its environment. You need to find the right balance of flexibility and convenience for your own situation.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 6
    I typically use a File DSN created on the server to link tables. That way I don't have to set anything up on each PC. If you use a User or System DSN, that would have to be set up on each PC.
    Paul