Angry Unanswered: MS-Access & SQL-Server enigma

I have an MS-Access (2003) application connecting to SQL-server 2000. All works well, except for an issue that cropped up last Friday.

Background: our DBA removed my predecessor's credentials (security rights) from SQL-Server (after all he thinks he's got a better offer (and maybe he has) somewhere else!).

Whether in error or forgetfullness he embedded his user uid and user password when he linked the required SQL-Server tables.

I relinked these using a "superuser" credentials (almost a DBA level) so when I leave (I am a contractor here) the same incident does not reccur.

Now whenever my users are running the required processes, they are prompted for a SQL-Server user id and password with their network id displayed in the login form.

I have set all the security permission to the "superuser" but it seems that I am missing something - somewhere!

Anyone with any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Sol.

Hi Sol

Welcome to the forum!

I hope the superuser can do no more than is required for the application?

Anyway - this superuser is a SQL Server account not a domain account right? When you linked the tables did you tick the "save password" box?

BTW - it is not a permissions issue.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thank you for your comment. Just to clarify - "superuser", in my perception, is a user with all the rights and permissions, one that can run processes that our regular users are not allowed. I may not have defined this properly, and so the explanation.

As for checking the "save password" box, I believe I did, but I'll just drop and relink the tables and make sure.

Will find out whether that resolves the issue when one of my users runs a process like "Daily Cash Position Import" where that information is required.

Once again - Thank you.

Sol.

Provided Answers: 1
    Sooo... your application has access to a super-user account?

Why?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

So that I (or one of the designated users) can run a lot of shell processing automatically via code instead of doing it manually one command at a time (Beginning of Day, End of Day transactions, cash balancing etc.,)

Regular users do not need these permissions and/or rights.

Basically what I want is for the application not to ask the user for an ID or password, since the utility within the database already has that information.

I guess I could write some code to insert this info as I need it, but I was hoping for a simpler solution

Sol.

You might also want to check on your SQL Server to see if it's using Mixed Authentication.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thank you for suggestion - Next call - DBA! <grin>

Sol.

Provided Answers: 1
    Ok... so why does the account the application uses need to have super-user credentials if the utility within the database already has that information? Create a new stripped account that has just enough credentials to fire off whatever utility you're using.

Or don't, but I think it would be a good idea...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***