Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: SQL 2005 -- Where is Enterprise Manager?

I just downloaded SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition and I cannot find Enterprise Manager, which is a feature of SQL 2000. I do not know how to create a database, a table, etc without it. How do I do get enterprise manager.

Thanks.

SQL Server 2005 does not use Enterprise Manager

you need to download another tool

microsoft's EM equivalent is called Management Studio
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

if you have enterprise edition and you installed the client tools, you already have SSMS installed.

Provided Answers: 1
    Enterprise Manager has died.
    It has been replaced by its evil nephew, Visual Management Studio.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

just curious, why don't you like ssms blindman?

Provided Answers: 1
    Uhm....have you USED it?

It is slow.
    It is cluttered.
    The sql editor has NO hotkeys (sucks majorly....).
    You cannot manage your DTS packages (Sorry...I mean "Aggravation Services Packages") from within SSMS. You have to open up an equally obnoxious interface called the Business Development Studio.

Enterprise Manager was a tool dedicated to SQL Server. Management Studio is a tool which tries to consolidate multiple development tools into a single interface. Well, that is just lazy. And obviously the attempt failed, or I wouldn't have to drop out of Management Studio in order to develop Integration Services Packages.

One of the big selling points of Microsoft SQL Server over Oracle is the ease of administration, and a BIG part of that was the Enterprise Manager tool. Now, Oracle has finally come out with a decent (not great) management interface, while Microsoft has lowered the quality of its interface, and now the two are roughly even. And by roughly even, I mean both leave much to be desired.

Why don't I like it? I haven't met anybody who DOES like it.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

oh yea, I've used it, more than I care to admit almost...

I worked on the sql tools team for the 1.5 yrs before yukon shipped, hence my interest in what you thought of ssms. I didn't get to leave much of an imprint on it though, other than hundreds of bug fixes. features were pretty much set in stone when I joined the team. was cool to work on sql server for a bit though. I left ms after yukon shipped for a more interesting job at much smaller company.

I pretty much agree with you about ssms. it is bloated and rather slow, particularly for managing a remote server. it's VERY chatty with the server. was way too late to fix it though - the chattiness comes from SMO, which is a powerful api, but not really optimized for an app like ssms unfortunately.

funny what you say about SSIS. i remember a gpm there that remarked that you could infer the structure of the sql org by using the GUI for an hour. each sub-group was its own tribe, and it shows.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    funny what you say about SSIS. i remember a gpm there that remarked that you could infer the structure of the sql org by using the GUI for an hour. each sub-group was its own tribe, and it shows.
    Let me guess, RW ?

-PatP

BB. I think he went to office. can't remember now. as I left it was all a blur

Gotta agree with the blind dude

From what I understand though, you can use QA with 2k5 using some slight of hand tricks
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Gotta agree with the blind dude

From what I understand though, you can use QA with 2k5 using some slight of hand tricks
    that's correct. connecting from QA was disabled initially to "encourage" people to upgrade their tools.

the backlash was enormous when the sql engine team discovered they couldn't use QA anymore, so we turned it back on.

But I understand certain things don't "work"....but they way I use QA it probably wouldn't matter to me anyway

Got any instructions on how to do this?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    Actually, I have not had any troubles getting Query Analyzer to talk to a SQL 2005 instance. The Object Browser is off and on, but I never use that myself. I can even get explain plans from simple queries on a SQL 2005 server in Query Analyzer.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Actually, I have not had any troubles getting Query Analyzer to talk to a SQL 2005 instance. The Object Browser is off and on, but I never use that myself. I can even get explain plans from simple queries on a SQL 2005 server in Query Analyzer.
    I am pretty surprised showplan in QA works at all when connected to yukon. the data format of the plan returned to the client changed significantly from 2000 to 2005. in fact it changed a lot *during* 2005 development, that was a source of constant headaches!

Brett - I don't use QA for yukon at all, don't know any tricks there. if all you want to do is execute queries, there's nothing special you need to do. just connect and hit f5 as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    The sql editor has NO hotkeys (sucks majorly....).
    forgot about this when I posted earlier - maybe this will help you hate SSMS less

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms174205.aspx