Provided Answers: 19

Unanswered: How do you report problems with the forum?

I can't find a link anywhere! I know about the ongoing problem with "search", but for the past several weeks I've had replies to posts "disappear!" Anytime I respond to a post, I always go back and check the entire posting in case I've "crossed someone in the mail." Went back last nite to check on a posting and found my response gone! Re-entered a response, hit SUBMIT, and it disappeared! Tried a second time, and it would not "take!"
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

please report all instances like this in the Suggestions and Feedback forum
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks, Rudy!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

i forgot to mention that the owners of the site don't really pay any attention to posts in that forum, so don't hold your breath waiting for a reply

of course, my luck being the way it always has been throughout my life, this will be the one time that they do

but they haven't really paid any attention in the past, not seriously

there are problems with search, and there are problems with missing posts, and the most we have been able to wangle out of them -- and this always through a particular moderator, not from anybody actually at iNET Interactive -- is along the lines of "gee, is that right? whoa, that's a problem"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Yeah, I knew about the ongoing problems with "Search!" I kind of wondered about responsiveness, since they don't even have a link to report problems! I guess my ganddaddy was right, you get what you pay for! Thanks anyway!
    Hope this helps!

If I may - I believe that SWF is employed by iNet to be the face of iNet and is an Administrator rather than a Moderator.

I suspect that his main problem is that he can do nothing of substance re search and missing posts, he is just a (jolly friendly nontheless) conduit. I think he gets a snow job (is that the phrase?) from the iNet DBAs who say things along the lines of "there are x million posts - of course some get lost\ cannot be searched" and it is his unfortunate responsibility to come out and tell us.

The new missing posts things is a problem. The last time we started losing current posts DBF went down for "essential maintenance" several times.

I don't think any of mine have gone missing - at least no one has complained but that doesn't count for much
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

my impression is that SoftWareReview was a moderator on one of their other sites, and they persuaded him to become a moderator here too

here, check the words of the man himself (the one and only time we heard from this guy) --
    http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...37&postcount=1

in particular, the 2nd paragraph:
    When I started, we had some work to do to get the community returned to health. dBForums was not getting the attention it deserved from iNET, and moderation had fallen off. Thanks to the dedication of and the input from a group of committed community members, we got things back on the right track. We implemented the tools the moderators needed to manage the community, and we brought in some help from other iNET communities.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

I first started seeing the problem several weeks ago. At first I thought I'd simply reviewed my post and then forgot to "Submit," but then began watching closer and even went back to check some of my responses. I've started keeping files with my answers to some recurring questions, and always do it the same way: After the response is posted, I Copy & Paste it into a WordPad file. So if I have a file with it, it's been posted!

"there are x million posts - of course some get lost\ cannot be searched"
    is pretty lame! I realize it's free, but if you're going to do a job, you ought to do it right!
    Hope this helps!

lame doesn't begin to describe that answer

i'm also on a couple of other vBulletin forums, one of which easily has twenty times the volume of this one, and they don't have either the "search isn't working" or "missing posts" problem
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

"there are x million posts - of course some get lost"
    that's probably ok for a chatroom on origami for the under-nines, but it's not very encouraging for a (MySQL database driven) site about databases!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

That's like I came across a website of an internet consulting firm the other day, when I was trying to locate a company with a similar name. Out of curiosity, I cruised their site. Three of the five navigation tabs went to the same page, the other two went to blank pages! Yeah, I'm going to give them my business!
    Hope this helps!

We had a web consultancy in to quote for a job. We asked what previous work they had done and they claimed it was extensive. We asked for the URLs and they said they could not give them out as it would be a breach of privacy. A URL!!! It was pretty clear they had had no previous clients but instead of admitting it up front they tried to BS us.

They didn't get the business either.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Right! The whole point in putting your business on the web is because...you don't want anyone to kow about it? Hmmph!
    Hope this helps!

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    ......The new missing posts things is a problem. The last time we started losing current posts DBF went down for "essential maintenance" several times....
    I fear we are due for a system headbut RSN, posts are going missing, some magically re-appear a few minujtes/hours/days later.

Sad really, but there nowt we can do about it
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

there is no way that MySQL drops the plot at the transaction rate of this site. for sure my DBs don't have the level of interaction that this site has, but i haven't dropped even a bit so far with MySQL.

something is rotten in the state of Denmark (with my/Shakespeare's apologies to any Danes viewing), but it is not the underlying database engine.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2