Unanswered: Error Upgrading from 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.4

Hi Everybody,
    I have a very old database running on one of the server. I am trying to upgrade it to 8.1.7.4 from 8.1.7.0 in silent mode, running on Solaris 7. I have to following error.
    $ ./runInstaller -silent -responseFile /u01/tmp/Disk1/response/patchset.rsp

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /var/home/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/jre. Please wait...
    Exception java.lang.NullPointerException occurred..java.lang.NullPointerException
    at oracle.ewt.lwAWT.BufferedFrame._init(Compiled Code)
    at oracle.ewt.lwAWT.BufferedFrame.<init>(Compiled Code)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmMainFrame.<init> (Compiled Code)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.<init>(Compil ed Code)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.main(Compiled Code)

No details in log file as well. Please help me solve this problem

Thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    There was an issue with Oracle 8i installation on MS Windows (yes, I saw - you're on Solaris); however, here are the steps - I guess you could give it a try and see will it do any good.
    • Create a temporary directory on your server.
    • Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
    • Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
    • Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
      Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.... but, I think dll's only exist in Windows.. correct me if I am wrong. I have been successful doing this in Windows. I am trying to upgrade coz 8.1.7.0 is buggy... is it something to do with DISPLAY environment variable?