Red face Unanswered: Need help with my monthly budget

Hello All,
    i have this monthly budget, that i use for my expenses which is done in excel spreadsheet format. I would like to convert that into access and i was wondering would you be kind and have a look at my attachments. I have taken the liberty of starting the access database but i cant go any further since i am not sure how to make it look like excel. in other words i would like it to be just like an excel file which is really easy for me to work with.
    I am attaching my excel file and the access database which i have started making as well.
    Any suggestions, recoomendations would be wonderful

thanks alot for helping!
    Ranjah
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 19
    If you use the Form Wizard and select Datasheet as your Latout Style it'll look like an Excel form!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Shoule be Layout style! Sorry!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

One question before i chose form wizard, is my relationship ok to begin with??

First I have to tell you that for this type of thing, an Excel spreadsheet is probably the best way to go! Having said that, I took a look at your tables and there are several problems.

First off, you have no way to "tie" the tables together. You need a common field between any two tables to be able to set up a relationship between them. I'd just trash the tblMonths, you don't really need that, I don't think, and add a field to each of the other two tables named MonthYear (i.e. 11/06.)

Next, change the Primary Key for tblChecks to this MonthYear.

Change the data types for all of your fields, except CheckID, BillID and the two MonthYears, to Currency.

Create a simple Select Query in Design View.

The dialog box will come up with your two tables. Select each table and add to the query.

Go up to your tables and left click on MonthYear in tblChecks and drag it onto MonthYear on tblBills. This tells Access that these tables are now "related" by these fields.

Now go to tblChecks and double-click each field in turn. This should send the filed into the Query Grid. Do the same for tblBills, omitting the MonthYear field this time. Click the X in the right top corner to close the query and you'll be asked to name it.

Now you can create your form, using the Form Wizard if you like, and when prompted base the form on the query you just made.
    Hope this helps!

Wink take a look at this

Thanks missinglinq for replying,
    Before i follow your instruction can you just take a quick peek at this sample again i have modified the relationship and i have the feeling you will appriciate this better than the last one.
    Thanks again

You're making this thing way too complicated. Go back to you original design, with just tblBills and tblChecks and you'll do fine.
    Hope this helps!

I Have to agree with missingling, you need a basic grasp of db constuction.

your requirements need to change somewhat if you want to fit your data in to a db app

i have altered your tables and forms to give you a simple start, you'll get the idea

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by "L"PLATE
    i have altered your tables and forms to give you a simple start, you'll get the idea
    L Plate,
    Are you talking about an attachment??

Thanks

Here it is

sorry, i don't know why it didn't attach the first time