Unanswered: Installing/Upgrading to php 5

Relative newbie here so please forgive me if these are silly questions but the only way to know is to ask so...
    I currently have PHP Version 4.4.0 with MySQL 3.23.49 running on Windows XP Pro but would like to install php 5 to test some new scripts.
    I have found the XAMPP for windows install here http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1224
    What I am wondering is will this install as an upgrade on my current php and mysql? Will I need to do anything with my current mysql data other than backing up or will I have to migrate it? Finally, will my current php scripts continue to work after the install?
    Just a little nervous about doing anything without knowing what will happen to what I already have in place and working.

Thank-You in advance for any assistance.
    LadyHLG

Hi LadyHLG,

If you have another server availible, I'd suggest trying your application on that (dump the db, restore to the new one, copy files, change settings etc)...and ironing out the bugs...

Then your free to release it on to the live server...

If your forced to do it on the same server, I would suggest upgrading one thing at a time, MySQL 5.x will cause problems if you use certain types of queries - have a search on the MySQL site under migration / upgrade.

PHP5 hasn't caused many problems for me during upgrades, but you might have less luck.

I am guessing you are running under Windows?

rhs98,
    Thanks for the reply, yes I'm running windows.
    Do you know if php 5 has any problems connecting to the older versions of Mysql?

Thanks again for the assistance!
    LadyHLG

Hi again,

No PHP does not have any issues connecting to the older versions of MySQL - I am still using 3.23 on one server.

Just make sure you have the mysql extension enabled (you probably do already) when you upgrade.

Ok Great!
    Thanks again for the help!
    LadyHLG