Thread: mapping problem

mapping problem

Hello,

currently, I have two tables: newsitems, and users.

I want to be able to do two things:
    1 - to be able to indicate whether a given user has read a news item
    2 - to be able to hide a news item from a user (which will result from a user deleting a news item in the UI, but I would still want that news item to be visible to other users.

I was going to add a newsitem-to-user mapping table, but I am worried about performance issues, as every news item added to the system will result in a mapping record per user.

any ideas of what is the best way to go about this?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyalk
    I was going to add a newsitem-to-user mapping table, but I am worried about performance issues, as every news item added to the system will result in a mapping record per user.
    No way around that given you requirements, though you may be able to get away with just storing records of news-items the user has deleted, rather than a record for every news-item.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    No way around that given you requirements, though you may be able to get away with just storing records of news-items the user has deleted, rather than a record for every news-item.
    whoa, that's sweet

no, sincerely

keep a record of the ones they've deleted

because it's a smaller number of rows

brilliant!

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Actually, it is ordinary Normalisation. The "delete news item" action for an user is a Fact, and should be recorded.

The massive table "every news item added to the system will result in a mapping record per user" was not a Fact, it was an Unnormalised (duplication) of possibilities. (And if you really wanted that, there are better ways to do it.) If you were "mapping", what fact would have been mapped ?

Cheers
    Derek Asirvadem
    Senior Sybase DBA/Information Architect derekATsoftwaregemsDOTcomDOTau
    Anything worth doing is worth doing Right The First Time
    Spend your money on standards-compliant development or spend 10 times more fixing it