Provided Answers: 59

Unanswered:

Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    ...MySQL is completely new to me....
    we aLL have to start somewhere....

Id stringly reccomend that you download the MySQL desktop suite (Administrator, Query Browser & Workbench)

Usually when you see the 'Access denied for user' message it indicates that the specified user doesn't have sufficient privilieges for the requested operation whihc is MySQL speak for a security / logon fail

you can set user privileges either by the command line within the MySQL DOS client, or in MYSQL Administrator. MySQL uses a fairly robust security model, and you have to explicitly grant permissions to users on objects within the DB. Personally I find it easier to set them within MySQL Administrator.

If you are learning AND in a development environment then Id suggest you create a super user account with global access to do anything to any database form any IP address or host, and then create accounts with permsissions as required as you learn the principles behind MySQL security.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi healdem,

Tks for your advice and URL.

Usually when you see the 'Access denied for user' message it indicates that the specified user doesn't have sufficient privilieges for the requested operation whihc is MySQL speak for a security / logon fail
    Initially I followed the ServerGuide of Ubuntu-6.06.1-LAMP-server-amd64
    https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/index.html

to install MySQL. After installation completed as instructed on the said guide, I ran;

$ mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:
    Code:
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 7 to server version: 5.0.22-Debian_0ubuntu6.06.2-log
    Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
    Then
    mysql> create user 'satimis'@'hostname' identified by 'satimispassword';
    Code:
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)
    mysql>exit

$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart
    MySQL restarted without any warning.

Afterwards I found;
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06_p4

on Internet and followed its "10 MySQL" to further tuning MySQL. This guide suggested installing "libmysqlclient12-dev". To my knowledge ".dev" package is for recompiling software. First I hesitated but finally following its instruction and coming to present situation.

On restart MySQL
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart
    Password:
    Code:
    Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
    Killing MySQL database server by signal: mysqld.
    Starting MySQL database server: mysqld.
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'
    satimis@ubuntu:~$ /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

(hanging here.  I don't know whether waiting for input or otherwise.  
    If for input what shall I type here?)
    Hitting [Enter] it prompted;
    satimis@ubuntu:~$

Shall I remove "libmysqlclient12-dev"?

If you are learning AND in a development environment then Id suggest you create a super user account with global access to do anything to any database form any IP address or host, and then create accounts with permsissions as required as you learn the principles behind MySQL security.
    Yes I'm learn MySQL from the beginning. Anyway I'll go through the document on your URL first.

Others noted with tks.

Tks.

B.R.
    satimis

Edit: * * *
    $ ps -ef | grep mysql
    Code:
    root      5742     1  0 20:32 pts/0    00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
    mysql     5803  5742  0 20:32 pts/0    00:00:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-locking --port=3306 --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    root      5804  5742  0 20:32 pts/0    00:00:00 logger -p daemon.err -t mysqld_safe -i -t mysqld
    satimis   5908  5643  0 20:45 pts/0    00:00:00 grep mysql
    MySQL seems working?
    Last edited by satimis; 11-23-06 at 08:49.

on the face of it MySQL is working.... otherwise you wouldn't the the access denied message

Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    ....Then
    mysql> create user 'satimis'@'hostname' identified by 'satimispassword'....
    ... so you have created a user, but you haven't given that user any privileges (rights).

Have you tried downloading MysQL Administrator?
    can you open Administrator.. if so it indicates that it can find a working MySQL server.

You will probably need to sign on as 'root' to set up permissions / privileges for your new userid.

Hi healdem,

Have you tried downloading MysQL Administrator?
    Whether you meant "mysql-admin" and "mysql-admin-common"?

$ sudo apt-cache search mysql | grep admin
    Code:
    dpsyco-mysql - Automate administration of access to mysql
    eskuel - A pretty PHP administration tool for MySQL databases
    kmysqladmin - Kde graphical frontend for mysql servers
    mysql-admin - GUI tool for intuitive MySQL administration
    mysql-admin-common - Architecture independent files for MySQL Administrator
    phpmyadmin - set of PHP-scripts to administrate MySQL over the WWW
    tora - A graphical toolkit for database developers and administrators
    courier-webadmin - Courier Mail Server - Web-based administration frontend
    They seem installed already

can you open Administrator.. if so it indicates that it can find a working MySQL server.
    How to start it? TIA

Others noted with tks.

B.R.
    satimis

I dont know ubuntu, its a while since I used SUSE

in SUSE you could either run it direct from the command line, or perhaps slightly easier by adding a shortcut using a menu editor. Im guessing as you have KDE it should be relatively straight forward. you willneed toknow the path to the administrator program.

Incidentally Id strongly reccomend that you download the most recent versions from the MySQL site, MySQL programs are often in a stae of flux (read constant development).