Unanswered:

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    For example at my shop we run windows on SOLARIS

Very nice typo, made me laugh out loud !

Thanks a lot !

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

Arrow

Nice answers. lol Here is the correction:
    For example at my shop we run ORACLE on SOLARIS, WINDOWS, and Linux.
    Fan Yi

Sigh.... Thats what happens when I am typing the response just before leaving for a 4 day weekend. 8-)
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Provided Answers: 11
    As far as how many hours you have to put in, it really depends on a few things. Mostly how well the shop is run in general. If you have "amateur night" every night, you can probably expect to be paged more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by cfr
    Do you think this trend will continue as newer versions of Oracle come out that are easier to manage?
    I believe so - Oracle will continue to be used on large applications - where the business needs to get every bit of performance out of the database. Also things like SOX and PCI make life difficult for businesses without a strong DBA.

I don't equate being easier to manage with not needing a DBA, but I do think DBA positions are changing - we have to know more about the business, more about other software & infrastructure. Again - just my own experience...

good luck on your venture...