Unanswered: Log restore problem

Hi Gents,
    We have a database which is copy of live database. Both are on SQL 2000.
    The database is updated by log shipping.
    Last log backup cannot be restored because there is not enough space on a disk.
    We need to move one of the data files onto another partition.
    The problem is that the database has restoring status and I cannot use alter database, detach etc.
    Have you any ideas how to do it without stopping the SQL Server service or restoring database from full backup?

Thanks a lot.
    Regards
    Kris Zywczyk

Provided Answers: 11
    In order to preserve the log shipping, I believe you must "reinitialize" the destination database with a new full restore. If you issue the "restore database name with recovery" you can not go back to restoring logs into it.

I do not know of any way that you can move a datafile and keep the correct log count.

If you want to take a backup of the standby server and preserve the log count, you can stop the service, copy the mdf and restart the service. I do however believe that if you reattach the copied mdf it will restart the log count. This is the only way that I know of how to making a backup of a standby server. I unfortunately had to learn it the hard way, took us 1 week to get the standby up to date again.

Hope this helps
    Good luck

Thanks for help.
    The server is in DR - few miles away - and the database is about 100 GB
    I did not want to go there or send 100 GB over the network - but finally I had to :|
    I just restored the database with move and norecovery options.
    Regards
    Kris Zywczyk