Unanswered: Sql server --data transfer

hi can somebody help me out on this.. is there a way to consolidate the data in different Sql Server 2005 database servers scattered at different locations into a single database without using REPLICATION.

p.s Data transfer should also be conditional and bi-directional

Provided Answers: 6
    are the machines on different networks\domains?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Sql 2005 server - data transfer

well the DB servers are located at different geographical locations. i need to Transfer the DATA from many DB Servers to a single DB Server. Since there is no connectivity Replication cannot be used ...

Provided Answers: 6
    I am no replication expert but if you can setup vpn connections you can use replication, if not you can always move snapshots around using FTP or there is always a proxy server.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by anbu_dba
    well the DB servers are located at different geographical locations. i need to Transfer the DATA from many DB Servers to a single DB Server. Since there is no connectivity Replication cannot be used ...
    Care to elaborate on that bit?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 1
    ...and what is your plan to reconcile surrogate keys?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

what i meant by saying "Servers are not connected" is that the SQL Databases exist at different remote geographical locations and are not connected at all. But my requirement is that i have to consolidate the Data from these DB Servers into a single SQL database. Should i be looking at creating a DTS package to Export/ Import data or BCP utility .. awating guidance on this ....

Provided Answers: 54
    Can you change the schema of the database? That will help in many ways.

What kind of connectivity do the machines have? There has to be some kind of connectivity, and that will make a lot of difference in how you choose to make the data transfer work.

Don't rule out replication. It might still be a solution in one of its configurations, depending on just what you are actually trying to do.

-PatP

can anyone guide me on this

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    What kind of connectivity do the machines have? There has to be some kind of connectivity, and that will make a lot of difference in how you choose to make the data transfer work.

-PatP
    well, let me breifly describe my problem. My client's organizational setup is like
    1. Head Office
    2. Area Office
    3. Branch Office

Every Branch Office has an SQL Server database. The Branch Offices are not connected by any means to the Head Office.Now i need to take incremental backup of data from the branch Office databases and consolidate it at the Head Office database. Since there is no connectivity between them, im looking for BCP utility or Bulk Insert wherein im planning to push the DATA from branch office databases into a Flat file and import the same into the Head Office database.

can anyone guide me on this ???