Question Unanswered: Check Book in Access

A friend of mine has an Access Database that he uses for his small business. He wants to add a form that would function as his checkbook. I have created his table that would allow him to enter all of the information he wants. I also created a form the way he wanted to see it. The only problem I am running into is a current running balance. What can be done to give him a current running balance showing changes after each transaction?

Provided Answers: 6
    All kinds of ways; here are a couple:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208714/en-us
    Paul

I looked at the two examples given and I don't know that they actually do what I want them to do. I want the running balance to take the previous balance, add and credits, and then subtract and debits and give the new balance. Currently the Balance is not a stored field. It is just shown on the form.

How can I do this?

Provided Answers: 6
    The only real difference is that you have 2 fields to worry about instead of 1. Don't think of it as taking the previous balance and adding/subtracting the current record. That's spreadsheet thinking. The running balance for any given transaction is the total of all transactions that preceded it, including the transaction itself. In your case, the sum of the pluses less the sum of the minuses.

The key is to find the field(s) that identify the order of transactions, so you can find the preceding ones. In the examples it's date or employee number. If you can have more than one transaction a day, you'll need something more than just date (time, transaction number, etc).
    Paul

I do have a Transaction Number field. It is a unique autonumber field. I was trying to use that in place of the date/employee number in the example.

Since I do have the two columns, would you set it up doing the DSum of the credits minus the DSum of the Debits?

I think that is probably where I was having the troubles. Let me try that.

I was able to figure out what was wrong. Thanks for helping me to see that I was thinking of the function wrong.