Unanswered: Using Row_Number without stored procedure

Is there a way to use Row_Number without using a stored procedure? All the examples on the internet are using stored procedure.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

OK, I figured it out. But I have another question. My table is already ordered by date. Is there way I can avoid using the "Order By" clause in "Over"?

I just want SQL to go to the specified row and get the next 10 rows after that. for example:

Row Item Price
    100,000 Binoculars $99.99
    100,001 Computer $300
    100,002 Monitor $399

Again, my table is clustered so there is no need to use the order by clause. In the table above if I needed to get only the rows specified 100,000 to 100,002 -- how would I go about this?

...and it starts....worst thing M$ added as a feature

Sure there is no requirement for you to use an order by...you can always rely on an arbitrary order
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser

Sure there is no requirement for you to use an order by...you can always rely on an arbitrary order
    Could you give me an example? Everytime I take the OVER or ORDER BY clause out it gives me an error.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser

Worst thing? I think you give M$ too little credit for creativity. Surely they can do worse than that.
    But what is your beef with it. I admit I have not played around with it, but it would appear to be a good method of handling paging.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 11
    My all time favorite comment in Microsoft code is in sp_who2
    Code:
          -- (Seems always auto sorted.)   order by spid_sort
    Sadly, this must have been tested only on single processor machines, or on machines that are not very busy. I get all sorts of orders from sp_who2.

so is there a way to show only rows 50 to 60?

if your table is "already ordered" because of a clustered index, there is no extra cost to adding an order by clause on that column, so just add it.

The page tomh53 pointed you to has a very clear example of how to get rows 50-60. look at the second block of code on that page.

I usually point people to this blog for paging though: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/arc...3/22/1085.aspx

Paging

Hi,

Is there something similar to ROW_NUMBER() or rowid in SQL Server 2000 ?
    Or is it possible to sort in descending physical order (i mean the descending order of a "select * from table" command without "order by") to use the top/top technique without having primary/unique columns ?
    I would like to improve the paging functionality in a php based mssql query tool (that has to work with all tables - please don't advise me to set the primary key or add a unique column).

Best regards
    ifx

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    if your table is "already ordered" because of a clustered index, there is no extra cost to adding an order by clause on that column, so just add it.

The page tomh53 pointed you to has a very clear example of how to get rows 50-60. look at the second block of code on that page.

I usually point people to this blog for paging though: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/arc...3/22/1085.aspx
    I have tried to convert the stored procedure to regular sql commands and the commands are very fast except when I try to view page 13,000. When I try to view high numbered pages it gets really slow. Is there any way I can combat this? again I simulated 5 million rows in my table. Thanks for any replies

also, here is the second block of code in that example:
    Code:
    returnpage 'select * from Orders','EmployeeID ASC, OrderDate DESC, OrderID ASC',12,31
    I entered this in my program but just exchanged the values but it keeps giving me an error