Red face Unanswered: Silly Where Condition Question

I probably can't see the forest through the trees, and apologize for asking such an elementary question.

Can anyone tell me why I keep getting an error (Microsoft Access cannot parse expression....") for the following where condition?

[PurchaseOrderNumber] Like "*" & [Forms!][Search For Purchase Order]![PurchaseOrderNumber] & "*"

Thanks for your help

My first thought is it's numeric, but it's more likely to be you can't get quote marks into the string that way. Try CStr([PurchaseOrderNumber]) Like """ & "*" & [Forms!][Search For Purchase Order]![PurchaseOrderNumber] & "*"""

It didn't like that one either (same error)

Provided Answers: 59
    might be the age old double quote problem

[PurchaseOrderNumber] Like "*" & [Forms!][Search For Purchase Order]![PurchaseOrderNumber] & "*"

becomes

[PurchaseOrderNumber] Like " & Chr$(34) & "*" & [Forms!][Search For Purchase Order]![PurchaseOrderNumber] & "*" & Chr$(34)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Still not working.

I tried changing it to: [PurchaseOrderNumber]=[Forms]![Search For Purchase Order]![PurchaseOrderNumber]

following the format that Microsoft Access gives as an example, but it doesn't return anything....the form is blank.

Microsoft Access example
    [fieldname] = Forms![formname]![controlname on other form]

Indeedy....Hangs head in shame :-)

Provided Answers: 59
    is purchaseorder number a number or a string
    that could be your issue, if consider explciitly changing the text box data type to a number
    if its a string then you need tell the SQL that its a string by encasing it in double quote marks
    could be
    [PurchaseOrderNumber]=chr$(34) & [Forms]![Search For Purchase Order]![PurchaseOrderNumber] & chr$(34)

..the chr$(34) adds a double quote mark

personally I dont use this style of code in writing queries, I always use a parameter pulled directly from a form and write the SQL as required so cant be sure what your problem is.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton