Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Startup database

I have a hot backup of a database from 1 month ago that I would like to restore on a different box. The backup was done without RMAN. I have all the DBF files, but I do not have log files back from that far. Is there a proper way to open the database without being able to apply a few log files?

Talking

If your backuip controlfile corresponds to the hot backup, you should be able to startup with no problem, except you can only recover upto the last log files from you backup.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I am a little bit confused. At the end of the backup, we do the following:
    alter database backup controlfile to trace resetlogs;

I have the trace file, and the DBF files, but no log. Should I edit this trace file, transfer it to the new machine, recreate my control file and open the database?

Lightbulb

Yes.
    You will also need the init{sid}.ora file

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Startup

Thanks for the info. I usually have to restore anywhere form 1-3 log files when I try to:
    alter database open resetlogs
    after I run the control file. It complains about system01.dbf until I restore the logs.

Just curious, don't you (always) have to apply at least one archive log to bring all the datafiles in sync? (regardless of whether you're using a backup control file or not)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_tomcat
    Just curious, don't you (always) have to apply at least one archive log to bring all the datafiles in sync? (regardless of whether you're using a backup control file or not)
    Not if you do a restore to the "checkpoint" SCN (or exact point-in-time).

Is there anything special that I need to do to accomplish this ("checkpoint" SCN (or exact point-in-time)) or should I follow the steps that you told me beofre?

Talking

I was responding to Indy's post.

You only have to do a point-in-time recovery if you don't have the logs requested by the recovery.

isn't recover SCN always going forward though (to higher SCNs)? And going forward needs logs to roll all dbfs forward?

startup

Opening the database did not work. According to Note:99048.1 on metalink, one or two logs must be applied. I got the following error when trying to open the database:
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u01/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/IBAS_hjs/system01.dbf'

Unfortunately, I don't have a log to apply. Any ideas?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_tomcat
    isn't recover SCN always going forward though (to higher SCNs)? And going forward needs logs to roll all dbfs forward?
    Yes, But that's why you can only do point-in-time upto:

1) The "checkpoint" SCN in your backup.
    2) Any "forward" SCN from logs back-up and/or available after the hot/cold backup.

PS: At the "end" of your backup log, there has to be a "checkpoint" SCN recorded -- or -- try a timestamp.

Otherwise try opening a service request (TAR).
    Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 12-04-06 at 10:28.

what does v$recover_file show?

I acn't query this file since the database is not open.

There are some fixed views you can see in a mounted state - not much point though, it's going to confirm that you're datafiles aren't all at the same change# - and that it needs to do at least a little forward recovery to get everything to a consistent state.

Without logs there's no way to make it consistent.

Like LKBrwn said, looks like you're only recourse is a TAR - it would be worth talking to Oracle just to see if they can help...