Unanswered: Changing Oracle Home Area

Hello all,

I would really appreciate some advice on this. Currently we have 3 databases on a Sun Unix server. The oracle home area is /tpp/general/oracle/9.2.0. The background dump dest is /spp/spool/dbname/oracle. Each database exists in /dpp/dbname/dbname.

We need to create a new Oracle home area for just one of these databases, so that we can upgrade the Oracle version for just that one database (the others needs to stay at the old version). What do I need to do?

I plan on creating a new area called /tpp/load/oracle/9.2.0. This will be the $ORACLE_HOME which will then be upgraded. How do I ensure that the one database I need in this area is actually in it, and will be upgraded as well? The parameter (.ora) file will be moved to /tpp/load/oracle/9.2.0 but the database will stay in /dpp/load/load as it currently is. Is this ok?

Which other files do I need to move?

Many many thanks,
    Paula.

Just create a new oracle home under your $ORACLE_BASE directory and install it there. When upgrading, Oracle will ask you which database (ORACLE_HOME) you want to upgrade and then you will select this one.

Thanks for this. I think I am fairly happy with the upgrading Oracle process, but I'm just concerned that before I even get to that stage, that the database has been successfully moved from the old oracle home area to the new. I think I need to change oratab and dbstab, but is there anything else I need to change? Does anything else within the database structure or Oracle environment point to the Oracle home area and will therefore need to be amended?

I will have to contact the supplier of the application that uses this database to find out what would need changing at their end, but just on the database side I want to know I've amended everything correctly.

Thanks,
    Paula.

You woulnd't need to change those files at all, Oracle does that for you. oraInventory is where Oracle puts your inventory of files for each instance.

Talking

You may also need to decide if you are going to have ONE listener for all databases or two (one for each oracle version) or one for each database -- and you will need to change the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora accordingly.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I'm sorry, I think I'm missing something.

Let's put the upgrade aside for a minute and just talk about changing an Oracle home area.

So...at the moment I have an existing database which was created in an ORACLE_HOME of /tpp/oracle/general.

I have now created a new area on the server called /tpp/oracle/load. This is an exact copy of /tpp/oracle/general.

My database is still exactly as it was before, I have not changed anything, and so the users are still connecting to it in the ol ORACLE_HOME area etc.

What do I amend to make sure it goes in the new ORACLE_HOME area? If I amend nothing, then nothing changes. The new area /tpp/oracle/load will exist on the server but will not be used for anything. My oratab file refers to this ORACLE_HOME, so I don't understand why you say I wouldn't need to change this?

Also, do I need to amend listeners? There are no new database involved here at all, I just need to move this one database.

Sorry, I'm very confused!

Thanks.