Hi all,
This is a bit of a repost but I have been trying and am open to alternative methods to get the same result - a clickable file path hyperlink in Datasheet View built (partially) from concatenated fields. If indeed this can't be done on-the-fly when the query runs - via a function (my reading suggests there isn't one to convert a string to a hyperlink) or VB in the expression(how would I do that?) - can it be done in a table by adding a hyperlink field and using an update query? I've tried this by adding the field, creating an Update Query with just the one table (tblCase) and one field, then putting the expression that works in a Select Query into the Update To cell as follows:

'file://///Server/share/' & [tblCase]![CaseYear] & '%20CASES/' & [tblCase]![CaseID] & '.pdf'

I've tried this and different iterations of it (dropping [tblCase]! and just using field names etc.) but it just chokes, no error. Is there a problem with my logic here, do I need to call a function (I tried DLookup) or is it syntax? Any answer is greatly appreciated. This is driving me insane. Thanks so much...

Chris

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

Hi all,
In Access 2000, I have an expression in a query that builds a file path by concatenating values from text fields in table like so:

Link: 'file://///Server/share/' & [tblCase]![CaseYear] & '%20CASES/' & [tblCase]![CaseID] & '.pdf'

which works fine only that it doesn't appear or function like a hyperlink from the results in Datasheet View. I've dug around Field Properties, tried html tags a variety of ways (with escape sequences etc.) and used the HyperlinkPart function like this (and other ways):

Link: HyperlinkPart('file://///Server/share/' & [tblCase]![CaseYear] & '%20CASES/' & [tblCase]![CaseID] & '.pdf', 1)

which actually returns the string properly - but again no link function. It seems like there should be a way to do this. Is there another function I need to use or is it just impossible from Datasheet View? Thanks so much...

Chris