Unanswered: Blocking sa user

Hi All,
    I have a hypothetical scenario. I have few developers who all know the sa password. I want to block one developer from accessing the SQL server eventhough he knows the sa password.

Do we have any mechanism in SQL Server 2000 to block client based on the IP address of the client?

SQl Server is installed on Windows 2000 server. It uses SQL Server & Windows authentication.

Regards,
    Anand

Change the sa password

Thanks for the reply.
    I know that would be the best alternative
    But currently I am not in a position to change it immediately.

Can you suggest something else

Regards,
    Anand

sa login is built-in login as well as assigned sysadmin fixed server role. You can change sa password, but if someone knows the password he/she can login the SQL Server.

Use mixed mode security or give separate SQL Login to the developers with the db_owner or db_ddladmin database role, according to your requirement.
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.

How about VPN, router settings, IP or MAC filtering?
    Regards
    Kris Zywczyk

Provided Answers: 54
    You can filter ports to keep an IP address from making any connection to a SQL Server database, but that's rather drastic for limiting a developer. There are solutions to this problem, but all of the ones that I can think of require intimate knowledge of the problem... I don't know of any generic answer to this kind of problem.

-PatP

change the f'n sa password

sa shouldn't be used....some writers have even suggested creating a very strong password...write it down, put it in a safe and never use it..and create a new, "unknown" login that has sa rights
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    change the f'n sa password

sa shouldn't be used....some writers have even suggested creating a very strong password...write it down, put it in a safe and never use it..and create a new, "unknown" login that has sa rights
    Yep. First thing I do. Select newid() (on a different server). Copy and paste results into the install screen. Forget about it. Never use sa for anything.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    Yep. First thing I do. Select newid() (on a different server). Copy and paste results into the install screen. Forget about it. Never use sa for anything.

Regards,

hmscott
    Humm... really unique password..!
    Last edited by rajeshpatel; 12-09-06 at 00:54.
    Rajesh Patel

Everybody says - mistake is the first step of success, but it's not true. The correction of the mistake is the first step of success.