Unanswered: Changing Box Width Dynamically in VBA

Hey everybody,

I have what seems like it should be a fairly simple question but I can't seem to get the syntax right.

I am trying to change the width of a box on one of my forms dynamically for formatting reasons. This is to be done in the after_update event from a control group. I just can't seem to get it right. I would assume it could be changed like most other properties.

I have the following:

Box81.Width =

where Box81 is the name of the box. I have tried several differnt combinations of things after the equal but just can't seem to get it there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is happening? Are you getting an error message? Is the box width changing incorrectly?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    What is happening? Are you getting an error message? Is the box width changing incorrectly?

Sam
    Currently the box width is not changing at all.

The width property is in "twips" (I gorget what the acronym stands for), where 1440 twips = 1 inch. If you want the width to change in VBA, you have to measure it in twips.
    This is in contrast to the width property in the property sheet, which is measured in inches.

Good luck,
    Sam

The width property is in "twips" (I gorget what the acronym stands for), where 1440 twips = 1 inch. If you want the width to change in VBA, you have to measure it in twips.
    This is in contrast to the width property in the property sheet, which is measured in inches.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Sam,

Thanks for your help. It is working perfectly now! It ended up being:

Box81.Width = "6840"
    Box81.Width = "3300"

Just had to do the calculations for the twips numbers.

You are awesome. I don't even want to know how you knew that!

You want the truth? I tried it out in the immediate window, selected the word "width", pressed F1, and read until I found the answer.

Sam

You want the truth? I tried it out in the immediate window, selected the word "width", pressed F1, and read until I found the answer.

Sam
    Well dang for the simple solutions...

Provided Answers: 19
    If you do much of this kind of thing you might want to look at Stephan Leban's thing for automating this proceedure:

http://www.lebans.com/autosize_textbox.htm

I understand it automatically adjusts the width of the box to accomodate the data it holds.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007