Unanswered: Best way to deal with Missing Field (not record)

I need to pull in data from an Excel spreadsheet into Access and then run an append query to add that data into another table. I have been able to use transfer spreadsheet to get the excel info; unfortunately, the data from Excel sometimes has the field names missing or mis-spelled. How can I check for the missing fields BEFORE it gets to the error stage?- I need to keep the procedure running to import the remaining tables. I thought I'd found a solution on AccessMonster.com through a reference to the following location, but I can't find the thread: www.dbforums.com/archives/t58281.html+Microsoft+access+%22required+property% 22+%22set+to+True%22++custom+messa<BR>ge&hl=en
    (These are actually a series of excel spreadsheets; on the form there is a command button to import a single sheet's data - no problem here since the missing field error triggers a report to the end user indicating that they must "fix" the field names on that particular sheet to match the "standard fieldnames". There is another command button to import all sheets; this works fine until a field is missing- I've tried to trap the error, but have had mixed results - my best solution would be to identify the error before it causes a problem. I would be most grateful for any help you could provide. Thanks!

More to go on...
    Using Access 2003
    I have a recordset named "Vend"
    How can I verify if the field "Processed" is present in this recordset?