Unanswered: Help with If statement

Hi folks,

Can someone help with this if statement?

Code:
    If MsgBox("Should these labels be addressed personally?", vbYesNo, "Schools Database") = vbYes Then
        If [Forms]![frmAddressee]![chkAll] = True Then
            DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsAllPersonal", , , "Personal"
        Else
            DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsAll", , , "Addressee"
        End If
        DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsBySchoolPersonal", , , "Personal"
    Else
        DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsBySchool", , , "Addressee"
    End If
    Basically the user ticks a checkbox to create labels for all records in the database, and leaves unchecked to create individual ones.
    I also added a message box to ask the user if they want to personalise the label with the persons name or not.

The problem I am getting is that if I leave the checkbox unchecked (therefore creating an individual label), and select Yes when the message box is displayed it opens the wrong report.

I can get it to work adding more than one message box, but I only want one.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

Would something like this do it

Code:
    Dim Personal As integer

Personal = MsgBox("Should these labels be addressed personally?", vbYesNo, "Schools Database")

If Personal = vbYes And [Forms]![frmAddressee]![chkAll] Then
        DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsAllPersonal", , , "Personal"
    ElseIf Personal = vbNo And [Forms]![frmAddressee]![chkAll] Then
    ElseIf peronal = vbYes Then
        DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsBySchoolPersonal", , , "Personal"
    Else
        DoCmd.OpenReport "rptLabels", acViewPreview, "qryLabelsBySchool", , , "Addressee"
    End If
    ??

MTB
    Last edited by MikeTheBike; 12-11-06 at 09:05.

That's a great help thanks.

I was wondereing how I could assign the messagebox to a variable of some sort and just specify the vbYes/vbNo properties.

OK, slightly off topic, but it's associated with the original post.

I'm now having a problem with running the reports, specifically the two reports that display the persons name.
    Every time these two reports open it asks for a parameter for the ContactPosition field.
    I have added a query parameter to the query, and tried to assign QDef before the report is opened, but still it asks for a parameter.

Query:
    Code:
    PARAMETERS [Forms]![frmAddressee]![txtAddressee] Text ( 255 );
    SELECT dbo_tblSchoolDetails.ID, dbo_tblSchoolContacts.ContactName, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.SchoolName, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.Addr1, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.Addr2, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.Town, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.County, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.PostCode, dbo_tblSchoolDetails.PostCode2
    FROM dbo_tblSchoolDetails INNER JOIN dbo_tblSchoolContacts ON dbo_tblSchoolDetails.ID = dbo_tblSchoolContacts.SchoolID
    WHERE (((dbo_tblSchoolDetails.ID)=[Forms]![frmSchoolDetails]![ID]) AND ((dbo_tblSchoolContacts.ContactPosition)=[Forms]![frmAddressee]![txtAddressee]));
    Code:
    Code:
    Public Function GenerateLabels()
    Dim QDef As QueryDef
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim Personal As Integer
    Personal = MsgBox("Should these labels be addressed personally?", vbYesNo, "Schools Database")
    If Personal = vbYes And [Forms]![frmAddressee]![chkAll] = True Then
        Set QDef = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryLabelsAllPersonal")
        QDef.Parameters("[Forms]![frmAddressee]![txtAddressee]").Value = [Forms]![frmAddressee]![txtAddressee]

Set rs = QDef.OpenRecordset
    ElseIf Personal = vbNo And [Forms]![frmAddressee]![chkAll] = True Then
    ElseIf Personal = vbYes Then
        Set QDef = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryLabelsAllPersonal")
        QDef.Parameters("[Forms]![frmAddressee]![txtAddressee]").Value = [Forms]![frmAddressee]![txtAddressee]

Set rs = QDef.OpenRecordset
    Else
    End If
    End Function
    What am I doing wrong?

It looks to me that you're running this code in a module, as opposed to running it from a frmAddressee event. Try putting the code in a frmAddressee event instead, such as a command box's Click event. When you do that, the Qdf.Parameters(...) statement should become unnecessary, as the form is the current object, and Access should stop asking for a parameter.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Yes I had put the code in a module, but sorted it now.

Thanks