Question Unanswered: Using multiple database is increase or decrease web site performance?

Hello,

i have a problem with my web site. my site works very slowly. So i suspect my databases. i have used two databases on my site. And most of my pages uses two of databases. My databases are on different mysql servers. So is this the reason of slowless? None of database too big. One of my db's size is 5mb. The other's size is 14 mb.

But i don't think that the size of databases effect the performance directly.

What dou you think about what is the problem?

Please help..

... give us some more configuration info please.
    Like:
    - are there three machines, one for the webserver, one for each MySQL server ?
    - What is the task of each server ? Is one of the servers also a heavily used usenet server as well ?
    - where are they located, all in the same room, or one in Tokyo, one in New York and one in Paris ?
    - Did you try to look at the network performance between the servers, and if there are any, are the routers/switches configured correctly ?
    - What is your defenition of slow and for what task to be performed by the website ? When you're trying to find all the members who's last name have an odd number of D's in it and have posted a message between januari 1st and februari 2nd on an evening when it was raining at least some where in Texas ... that might slow things up when we're talking say 17.000.000 members ...

Just to give you an idea what might be an issue ... don't start blaming the DB servers right away, that's too easy and only seldom the case ...

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

Additionally:

1) have you properly indexed your tables

2) what type of queries are you using? Are you using the proper query to get the details you need

3) are you doing a performance killer, seen regularly with websites, and that is get some info from the database (perhaps a category) and then running a php loop with another mysql call in there to retrieve all subcategories?

Sorry,

But db knowledge is not enough to understand what is the problem. My databases host on Godaddy servers. and i think that the db servers on same place.
    My first db has 75 tables. and the biggest table on this table hasapproximately 2500 records.
    The other has 11 tables. And the biggest table has approximately 1000 records.

Maybe the configuration of db servers effect the performanse of db?

What is your think?
    Last edited by nihal; 12-12-06 at 10:02.

OK ... that's not exactly what we were looking for. Can you give us some info regarding OS, versions, software used. For instance Linux, kernel, MySQL 5.0.16, Apache + php 5 website ... ? Are the problems with a single SQL statement, or with is the website generally slow ?

But we'll have a go anyway:
    Let's start by discovering if the problem might be the database, or the connection with the website. How can you check that ? Simple:
    Create some code (I would prefer a stored procedure, but you might not have MySQL 5 yet ??? Please tell us what versions you're running ("show variables where Variable_name = 'version';") ) and run it on the mysql prompt, that is directly against the database. Have a look at the performance ... Next run the same SQL code from the website (from within a .php page for instance) and again look at the performance ... Do this for both database servers and please write some performance consuming code that returns more than a few records.

See any significant differences ? If the MySQL prompt is much faster, the problem is not within the database(s) and we're done. If there is not much difference, we've only proved that one single MySQL instance is not causing the issue. Since the architecture is somewhat out of the ordinary, there are much other options. But first we'll try to proof that this is option is not the bottleneck ... one step at a time.

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

your tables are small in size so that isn't the specific problem. you'll need to give more details as Yveau has outlined above.