Unanswered: Inserting columns into a column, is it possible?

Don’t ask why, but when you import an Access report into excel. The format changes dramatically. Is it possible to change the excel file’s format, so it look like the exact replica of the access report? When you import the report into excel, all the headers on report turns into different columns on the excel, but I don’t want that, I want all the headers or columns in one columns. (inserting columns into a column) – as it appears on the report (all under 1 column).

The report and excel file are linked, so you cannot delete a column or merge the columns.

How do you approach and solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure I can visualize the problem as you have explained (problem on my side). But in some cases I have used one worksheet in XL file to have the data pull, then another worksheet set up with the formatting I want, and pull all the data with formulas into the new worksheet. I have done that with a file of 4,000 rows and 53 columns. Works well.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Quote Originally Posted by shades
    Not sure I can visualize the problem as you have explained (problem on my side). But in some cases I have used one worksheet in XL file to have the data pull, then another worksheet set up with the formatting I want, and pull all the data with formulas into the new worksheet. I have done that with a file of 4,000 rows and 53 columns. Works well.
    I got a question. Maybe I am not understanding your solution. The purpose of this excel file is to update the access report. If I do what you've suggested, if I input new data into the excel file...will the new data automatically show up on the report?

Quote Originally Posted by tialongz
    I got a question. Maybe I am not understanding your solution. The purpose of this excel file is to update the access report. If I do what you've suggested, if I input new data into the excel file...will the new data automatically show up on the report?
    I misunderstood you. Sorry. The solution above works if you want the report in Excel, but not for updating the Access report.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Quote Originally Posted by shades
    Shades, after further thought, I think your suggestion will work. I will have 2 sheets in my file. Sheet1 would be the presentation template, and Sheet2 would have the raw data. Sheet2 would link to the access database.

I only need to update 1 column on the worksheet. I need to link this updating column between sheet1 and sheet2. So, the customers will input the aggregated data on the presentation worksheet (sheet1)(with the formatting), and the data would automatically show up on the raw data worksheet (sheet2). [Considering the coordinates remain the same. Meaning let's say on sheet1, D4 = sheet2 (D4)].

How do I link the same column on sheet1 and sheet2 together, so if one gets updated, so will the other?

What function, expression do I have to implement to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

I think I solve this problem. I basically...just did an autofiller. I am not sure if it is the probably way to do it, but it works right now.