Unanswered: replication from other kinds of database

as i know, sql server states it can replicate oracle data to sql server. other than sql server itself, can it replicate other kinds of database like informix or sybase?

Setting up the replication through the wizard, the first window gives you the choice: <Find SQL Server Publisher> or <Find Oracle Publisher> ...
    So no Informix or Sybase I guess ... I have been doing a lot of replication lately and never read or saw anything about some other RDBMS than SQL or Oracle.

Hate to disappoint you ... HTH ...

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

I've been replicating from MS SQL Server to Sybase but never tried the other way around. I don't see it happening with the replication-tools provided by Microsoft though. Maybe with the Sybase replication package?

The problem is that you need a reader somewhere that scans the changes in your data and sends them to the subscriber.

thx... all of u,

Yveau01, i hvnt tried sql replication before but can sql server perform replication thru trx not copy the whole table all the time...

Lexiflex, how sql replicate data to sybase? in trx level? or whole table? or thru sybase CIS?

Depends on the kind of replication you choose. If you synchronize by using snapshots, you'll sent over the complete database every time you synchronize. Using the merge synchronization, you just transmit the changes since the last sync of that user.

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

Quote Originally Posted by ymho
    Lexiflex, how sql replicate data to sybase? in trx level? or whole table? or thru sybase CIS?
    It's quite simple really. SQL Server implements a logreader to read the tx-log. Every change is registred and sent as INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statement to the Sybase server. It is even possible to change this so stp's will be called with the supplied data.