Unanswered: help with inventory database

hey guys,

I just took over Test Equiptment guy for my shop. I have roughly 337 pieces of test equipment, that i have sorted in an excel spreadsheet by division, space, location (in the space), model, name, cage, serial, and calibration due date. With that said, my responsibilities are to keep track of where my test equipment is, as i do get "spot checked", and know when i have to take test equipment to the cal lab for calibration. Right now, as of when it was turned over to me, we are at 88% calibrated, not including the few pieces of test equipment that arent in the books that i recently found during my inventory. 88% is crap. The previous TE guy made this appear to be going smooth, but i have now dug in deep and want to show my higher ups that i can do what the job entails to the fullest. I want all of my test equipment at 100% calibrated. To do that i am trying to make a database to basically run itself. I interface with one other database which gets me my reciepts to take to the cal lab.

I am trying to go one step further and move away from paper, making a database, shared on my intranet. Right now i have a basic checkout sheet, with the applicable information such as who they are and their workcenter the model #, cal date.... which sits in a binder. What i want is when people need a piece of test equipment, they find it in the database, and query it to be checked out to themselves. I am then notified of their inquisition, and i get the test equipment ready for them to come pick up in my shop. Then i check it out to them. They use it then bring it back, i let the database know its in my possesion, and i put it back where it needs to go.

I then need this to sort the cal due date onto a calendar so that i can plan ahead for my trips to the cal lab.

Sorry to jump around, but i forgot to mention that this is moslty used by people who are doing PMS and need test equipment based on a SCAT code. This code tells my what test equipment(s) i should give base on needs. So from the start, that person reads a number on a sheet, which is then bounced off of my database, i get the test equipment they need, they get it, use it, i get it back, i make note of getting it back, then restock my inventory, and finally i need to see a projected cal lab due date, which i am told i am interface a calendar with this.

I am trying to make this using Access, which is what we have issued to us. I keep getting lost. I am unsure of how to interface my data, with a usable GUI for the user trying to get a piece of test equipment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

i think if you have a specific problem then you might get some help.

have you created any tables and relationships

thats my problem, im trying to figure out a map so i can make the tables as necessary

if you're completely new to db design then i would recommend "the dummies guide to access"

all you need to know to get started and it's quite easy reading (you don't have to read and entire encyciolpidia to get started)