Question Unanswered: Offisite DB Connection Failure

I am trying to write a simple program for test purpose with VB .Net 2005 and SQL Server Express 2005. My server is not even in the same state as me, but I have the following on the server:

Server 2003 Web Edition SP1
    SQL Server Express 2005

I am writing in the following:
    Visual Basic 2005 Pro Edition

I have read where you can setup Express to allow TCP/IP connection, and I have done what it stated HERE. However, I am still not able to connect to the DB on the remote server.

I go to:
    Tools --> Connect to Server --> Type IP and get the connection failed to connec to server "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    I even tried:
    Tools --> Connect to Server --> Type IP\SQLEXPRESS and get the connection failed to connec to server "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Has anyone been able to do this, or am I wasting my time? If I can get the SQL Server to do as requested then I am going to purchase and work with it, however, I want to test out before I spend the $$$$$ to begin the full project. If anyone can be of assistance here I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Can you access the server on a remote machine on the same location as the server is (that is, in the same domain, at least without going through a firewall) ? It might have something to do with TCP/IP port 1433 that is not opened in the firewall ... and believe me, you don't want that !!!
    Is your SQL server directly accessible from the Internet with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ? Or should some routing be done because it's behind a firewall ? I would check your network admin for some assistence ...

Gr,
    Yveau

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)