Question Unanswered: Offisite DB Connection Failure

I am trying to write a simple program for test purpose with VB .Net 2005 and SQL Server Express 2005. My server is not even in the same state as me, but I have the following on the server:

Server 2003 Web Edition SP1
    SQL Server Express 2005

I am writing in the following:
    Visual Basic 2005 Pro Edition

I have read where you can setup Express to allow TCP/IP connection, and I have done what it stated HERE. However, I am still not able to connect to the DB on the remote server.

I go to:
    Tools --> Connect to Server --> Type IP and get the connection failed to connec to server ""
    I even tried:
    Tools --> Connect to Server --> Type IP\SQLEXPRESS and get the connection failed to connec to server ""

Has anyone been able to do this, or am I wasting my time? If I can get the SQL Server to do as requested then I am going to purchase and work with it, however, I want to test out before I spend the $$$$$ to begin the full project. If anyone can be of assistance here I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Tilburg, Netherlands
    Can you access the server on a remote machine on the same location as the server is (that is, in the same domain, at least without going through a firewall) ? It might have something to do with TCP/IP port 1433 that is not opened in the firewall ... and believe me, you don't want that !!!
    Is your SQL server directly accessible from the Internet with IP address ? Or should some routing be done because it's behind a firewall ? I would check your network admin for some assistence ...

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)