Unanswered: Case insensitive

How can i do "make tables name case insensitive" ?

Table names (and column names) are already case insensitive.

If you had a problem it might be because of a typo which mixed l and 1 or 0 and O...

Quote Originally Posted by dbmab
    Table names (and column names) are already case insensitive.

If you had a problem it might be because of a typo which mixed l and 1 or 0 and O...
    how can i edit

Depends on the OS if they're case (in)sensitive. On my Linux (Debian) distro, they are case sensitive !!! Redmond's OS probably is case insensitive ...
    Use the 'alter table' statement ... or even better: simply correct the SQL script, either way, make sure you reference to the correct table or column.

Gr,
    Yveau
    Last edited by Yveau01; 12-21-06 at 05:49.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
    Empty set (0.00 sec)

Provided Answers: 59
    I think its mixed
    agree on SUSE Linux (And therefore probably all Linux distros) MySQL is case sensitive .. ie you have to be precise in what you sepecify (as you should in any case)
    on Winwoes (or at least XP) its mixed. it seems to display as case insensitive and with some applicatons is case insensitive.. but sometimes its case sensitive.

I think MySQL handles the column names OK, it seesm to screw up the database name and table names.. the appear all lower case.. not a problem, excpet that most of the stuff I do is form a Linux Environment and Im used to usign captalisation to to addmeaning to table names eg ForeName rather than FORENAME, or forename or whatever.

confused.... I sure as heck am....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I referred to the manual and this is operating system specific and even file system specific (in the case of Mac HFS+/UFS.) There is a startup variable lower_case_table_names that can force the creation and testing to lower case, but the default setting for this variable is different for Unix/Win/Mac..., which results in operating system differences. On Unix, the default value of lower_case_table_names is 0. On Windows the default value is 1. On Mac OS X, the default value is 2.

Considering that databases should be independent of the operating systems that they are running on, the above operation was a poor choice by the designers (the naming of tables should be independent of any filesystem properties.)