Unanswered: General Question about Oracle 10g

Hi all,

I have heard that to create users/tablespace etc, you need to do this over a website which requires specific login details ? Is this true or not.

I want to install oracle 10g locally (onto my machine) and run the Enterprise Manager Console as in 9i ... wouls this be possible in 10g ?

thanks in advance !

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nudda
    Hi all,

I have heard that to create users/tablespace etc, you need to do this over a website which requires specific login details ? Is this true or not.
    Yes and no. The tool that replaced the old Enterprise Manager Console is now a Web-Application that is true. But you can completely manage an Oracle instance through SQL*Plus (and related command line tools) or any other SQL client. You will need to know the syntax for all the commands though, which is something that the grid control (the webapplication) and the EM take care of.
    I want to install oracle 10g locally (onto my machine) and run the Enterprise Manager Console as in 9i ... wouls this be possible in 10g ?
    10g's default download is only one CD (compare to three CDs for 9i), but there are additional downloads, which - as far as I know - include the old EM console. But I don't know the exact location of those. You will need to check the Oracle website.

thanks a lot. that was exactly the information I was after.

Happy Holidays

Talking

The "old" style EM console can be installed with the 10g Client install, choosing "Administration" option -- but beware this 10g console has limited functionality. Use the web version instead.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb